Where to buy a camping rucksack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 James Malloch 10 Jul 2019

I'm after a new rucksack for walking/camping which can fit all kit required, is comfortable etc etc.

Can anyone recommend somewhere with a decent selection and knowledgeable staff who can size something up properly?

I spend time in Cumbria and Leeds so ideally somewhere local. I know ambleside has tonnes of places so maybe something there.

Any thoughts would be welcomed 

pasbury 10 Jul 2019
In reply to James Malloch:

I presume you mean backpacking? And lightweight gear? A 45 to 50 litre sack should be sufficient and my personal recommendation is to look at the Lowe Alpine range as a good compromise between price and function. I see no purpose at all in a rucksack that weighs 2-3 kg before you put anything in it!

Welsh Kate 10 Jul 2019

George Fisher in Keswick has a pretty good range of rucksacks and good staff who can help 'size' you up.

It's a bit like boots - one make may be better for someone than another. When I bought a big rucksack for winter backpacking, I ended up with the heaviest one I tried, because it was by far the most comfortable.

angry pirate 10 Jul 2019

As Welsh Kate suggests, Keswick has a good selection of outdoor shops.

I'm a huge fan of the Osprey range and use the Exos 48 (53 litres in the longer back length) for all my backpacking. I have a bigger pack but the bag itself is double the weight empty and I can easily fit a week's worth of stuff in if I am careful.

That said, I tried it on before parting with any cash. 

Run_Ross_Run 10 Jul 2019

Would 2nd the suggestion of Lowe alpine. I have the airzone pro 35+ I use for camping and it's really comfortable with plenty of neat features to it.

https://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/006898-lowe-alpine-airzone-pro-35-45l-b...

David55 11 Jul 2019

Try Aiguille Alpine in Staveley, and online. They make to order so you can get a good fit.

Jungle_153 11 Jul 2019

The climbers shop in Ambleside is good.

OP James Malloch 13 Jul 2019

Many thanks for all the replies - I went up to The Climbers Shop in Ambleside and came away with a really nice fitting pack and Much more knowledgeable about how to fit one properly. Turns out I’ve been having the waist strap incorrectly positioned and also doing the weight distribution wrong when packing for a long time. 

And many thanks to the guy in the shop who spent a time with me to explain it all, fit me out and have a nice chat in the mean time!

Post edited at 21:52

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...