Retiring/recycling/salvaging old gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 SuperstarDJ 04 Jul 2019

I bought most of my rack about 14 years ago so I need to think about retiring a lot of it. I'm not sure what can be saved, what can be recycled and what can be chucked.

I'm assuming the stuff that needs replacing is anything non metal, so slings, quickdraws, cams, hexes. 

I should be able to rethread the hexes but what cord should I use and what knots?

I guess I'm going to have a lot of wiregates from the quickdraws? Any way of recycling the sling bits?

Is there anything to be done with my Wild Country cams? They're mechanically fine and slings aren't worn, just 14 years old.

My rope looks ok (not much wear, you can see from my logbook I've not used it loads), has been stored in a bag, away from chemicals but again is 14 years old so should be retired. Can it be recycled in any way?

And can old helmets be recycled?

Cheers,

David

Pbob 04 Jul 2019
In reply to SuperstarDJ:

Check your nuts for rusty wires (particularly under the nut and at the join,)

Dave Cundy 04 Jul 2019
In reply to Pbob:

14 years old......is that all?  I'd be quite happy to climb on stuff that old.  I've still got a few quickdraws from the 90s.  I would consider the condition and history of the tat on your quickdraws, nuts and cams to be more important than their age.

I'd replace stuff that has taken a decent fall, or looks a bit too furry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...