"Alpenglow" (Ben Tibbett's new 4000ers book)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 philipjardine 01 Jul 2019

It's difficult to find the appropriate superlatives for this book.  If you have any interest in alpine mountains order this book.  Its likely to be the mountaineering book of the decade. As you would expect every page has a 5 star photograph but the text is up to date and informative as well.  I have no commercial interest in this book other than being a customer.

galpinos 01 Jul 2019
In reply to philipjardine:

How have you got a copy?!

greg_may_ 01 Jul 2019

Eagerly waiting for my copy to arrive.

Phil Scott 01 Jul 2019

Did you order via the Kickstarter? Been waiting ages for it to turn up!

OP philipjardine 01 Jul 2019
In reply to Phil Scott:

He is busy signing and sending out copies from his lair near Leicester this week! There are copies in the Cham bookshops now.  Its a masterpiece.

Chrisk1 02 Jul 2019

Good to hear. I've been reading about its ongoing production. Sounds like a great book. 

Route Adjuster 02 Jul 2019

Ordered mine via kick-starter back in November,  can't wait for it to drop through the letter box. 

TonyM 02 Jul 2019

I ordered my copy on the strength of the beautiful photography, but the narrative is every bit as strong. 

The essays are compelling, capturing all the motivations for alpine climbing -  aesthetics, achievement, escapism and profound camaraderie through sharing a rope ... as well as the odd experience-building misadventure and near-miss.

I'm biased, because I volunteered a bit of help reading the book as proofs, but I whole-heartedly agree that it's destined to become a classic. As with other kickstarters, I'm eagerly awaiting delivery  

thomastb 05 Jul 2019

Anyone from kickstarter already receive his copy ? I can't wait to read that book !

Doghouse 07 Jul 2019
In reply to thomastb:

Got mine some time ago, great book.

TonyM 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Doghouse:

Mine arrived today. It is a masterpiece. 

galpinos 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Doghouse:

From the Kickstarter?

TonyM 08 Jul 2019
In reply to galpinos:

Yep, via Kickstarter order. Not sure how long the dispatch process will take, but I'm guessing it's more one man, lorry full of books and boxes with a reel of packing tape ... rather than an Amazon distribution centre.

Doghouse 08 Jul 2019
In reply to galpinos:

Yes, a few weeks ago now but I also bought a print of on of the pencil drawings. 

galpinos 08 Jul 2019
In reply to Doghouse:

Same here. I was thinking if he’s signing them in alphabetical order Mr Doghouse come before Mr Galpinos but Tony M has popped me to the post too! 

Doghouse 09 Jul 2019
In reply to galpinos:

> Same here. I was thinking if he’s signing them in alphabetical order Mr Doghouse come before Mr Galpinos but Tony M has popped me to the post too! 

This may come as some surprise but Doghouse is where I usually find myself, not my real name )

thomastb 09 Jul 2019
In reply to TonyM:

Great ! Nothing yet here in France but really waiting for it

Phil Scott 15 Jul 2019

Got an email over the weekend that almost all of the pre-orders will be delayed by around a month due to quality issues with the book jackets

C Witter 18 Jul 2019
In reply to Phil Scott:

Me too But, I'm really looking forward to it!  

Philiniqaluit 21 Jul 2019
In reply to C Witter:

I’m writing as a friend and mountain guiding colleague of Ben’s, so can’t claim objectivity....

Alpenglow is an amazing book. Merely climbing all 82 4000ers is an incredible achievement in itself, but to have done so with such a variety of stylish routes and partners, and with the spare capacity and self-discipline to photograph them all is a world-class mountaineering accomplishment. 

The photography is beautiful. But Ben has written a series of essays which are informative, entertaining, inspiring, witty, and often moving.

If you have not already done so, buy this book.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...