Gouter Refuge - sleeping bag liners?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 sabostar 01 Jul 2019

I'm trying to cut down my pack weight and wondered if the Gouter but provide disposable sleeping bag liners, or whether one is necessary?

I can seem to get any info from the refuge.

WillRawlinson 01 Jul 2019
In reply to sabostar:

Not sure if I'm mugging myself off by responding to an obvious troll, but I'll take one for the team and respond to fight the good fight. 

Given the general theme being pushed, of trying to preserve the pristine high mountain environment of Mont Blanc, I really doubt the local huts are offering disposable bedding. Would be quite ironic if they were.

In any case, the Gouter Route, which I assume you are heading up, is wonderful in its simplicity and really requires just a modicum of fitness and a strong will. It's unlikely that a 100g silk liner is going to rob you of the summit. 

As has been discussed many times across these threads, the gear we use to access these beautiful environments has a large environmental impact as it is, without resorting to disposable equipment. We should all be making individual efforts to minimise our own impacts for the benefit of these places we love. 

If you are indeed heading up Mont Blanc, do bear in mind the impact you have and leave no trace. I may well see you up there!

Post edited at 13:12
 mrphilipoldham 01 Jul 2019
In reply to sabostar:

No they don’t, but you can leave stuff in the gear room whilst you’re heading for the summit.. assuming you’re returning the same way! 

OP sabostar 01 Jul 2019
In reply to WillRawlinson:

Thanks. I agree with leave no trace and would not dream of leaving it behind.

Are you taking a silk liner with you?

OP sabostar 01 Jul 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Thanks. Do most people use one or manage without?

mrphilipoldham 01 Jul 2019
In reply to sabostar:

I took a cotton one, can't remember whether I bothered with it mind you..

MG 01 Jul 2019
In reply to sabostar:

Most huts (and I assume the Gouter) now require you to use a liner.  IF you don't have one they will give you a paper one for a (high) price.  However, the issue isn't litter but resources.  They all need to be flown in by helicopter.  So, take one yourself, save £££, and enjoy your climb.

WillRawlinson 01 Jul 2019
In reply to sabostar:

I'll be bumbling around on the Italian side avoiding huts, so no silk liner for me. Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Mark Haward 02 Jul 2019
In reply to sabostar:

Yes, take a liner. Most huts ask you to use one for hygiene reasons plus it can make for a more comfortable night - the blankets can be rough.

Roberttaylor 02 Jul 2019
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Beware, stuff gets stolen there...a mate left a brand new pair of running shoes and they were gone by the time he got back!

mrphilipoldham 02 Jul 2019
In reply to Roberttaylor:

Yes I wouldn’t leave anything of any value, the same could be said about any ‘public’ place though. I think I left my bag liner and some dirty underwear.. unfortunately there were still there on my way down!

Jason livesey 10 Jul 2019
In reply to sabostar:

It’s really not a massive hindrance but you can leave what you don’t want to take up to the summit in the gear room and collect it on the way down after a coffee in the hut

Misha 10 Jul 2019
In reply to sabostar:

I would always use a silk liner in any hut. It’s a question of comfort and cleanliness. Those blankets probably get washed once a year, if at all. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...