microspikes: kahtoola or other amazon things?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 smithaldo 19 Jun 2019

After some microspikes to help with the descent from the salbit as given likely conditions I've been recommended to take them by a redoubtable (nay famous!) UKC'er.

Recognising the article yesterday about cheap amazon gear.... should I just bite the bullet and get the Kahtoola standard ones, or are the ones about half the price (AUHIKE, YUEDGE) sufficiently good enough?

Have no experience here so advice much appreciated.

leon 1 19 Jun 2019
In reply to smithaldo: Your life but I wouldn't touch some of that crap on amazon

Climbing Technology ones are usually about £10 cheaper than Kahtoola and are a 'proper ' company and sold in ' real ' shops

https://www.climbers-shop.com/10940683/products/climbing-technology-ice-tra...

Usual caveats about their limitations though https://www.thebmc.co.uk/using-micro-crampons-and-mini-spikes-for-winter-hi...

Post edited at 10:33
OP smithaldo 19 Jun 2019
In reply to leon 1:

good find!

and sorry I only meant I've not used them before, rather than I didn't know what you could do in them, they are 'just in case' for descending as the route we are doing has a sometimes icy snowy gully coming down.

One review on those cheap ones on amazon said they had used them on 45 degree snow slopes. Rather them than me!

Removed User 19 Jun 2019
In reply to smithaldo:

Check out the Hillsound ones. I think they may well address the shortcomings of the Kahtoola spikes.

Mr. Lee 19 Jun 2019
In reply to smithaldo:

Personally I use cheap as chips microspikes in Norway. There's obviously ice everywhere but I manage fine. Think I paid about £10 for mine 4 years ago and they're still OK. 

Gavin 19 Jun 2019
In reply to Mr. Lee:

I got a pair of AUHIKE earlier this year and for the times I used them round town on the hard packed snow/ice I didn't have any issue with them.  That said, where the spikes are bent over in manufacture they have 'bird beaks' added in the corners for strength to stop the spikes from folding over and these aren't very big so I am wary of their ultimate longevity.  I'm not planning on using them for anything other than round town, so am happy to have 'paid my money.  I did also look for stainless ones which I hope also protects my investment.

Gavin

timparkin 20 Jun 2019
In reply to smithaldo:

Big warning on these devices is that the heel can come off to one side without you noticing. If you step heel first onto some ice thinking you've got grip and this has happened, you'll go flying. Nearly died on the edge of a waterfall in Iceland because of this. What I saw as a very shallow grassy/snowy slope was actually clear ice covered in snow with bits of grass sticking through. I took a step forward, lost my footing, fell over and proceeded to slowly slide towards the edge of the waterfall (Hengifoss). Only a big stone block allowed me to stop myself before the edge. 

I've since modded mine to include a strap that comes over the ankle from the heel.

Post edited at 08:45
 PaulJepson 20 Jun 2019
In reply to smithaldo:

If it's a weight issue then there are some aluminium crampons (e.g. Petzl Leopard) that are similar in weight to micro-spikes, will strap to any shoes in the same way, and be much more effective on snowy/icy terrain. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...