Eating after a race

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 hutchymh 13 Jun 2019

So I ran the Scafell Skyrace last saturday which was by no means the toughest I've found a race however since then I've felt like eating almost not stop! 

I cant decide whether my body is still asking for fuel or if I'm just greedy 😂 

So what is your experience with eating post race? Does anyone else experience a spike in appetite? 

Cheers!

Dark-Cloud 14 Jun 2019
In reply to hutchymh:

I normally get hungrier a few days after, straight after I’m not too bad with big runs, the bike on the other hand sends me into a real feeding frenzy which i usually regret as soon as I’ve finished eating.

yorkshireman 14 Jun 2019
In reply to hutchymh:

After an ultra I tend not to be hungry immediately after - probably because I'm sick of the sight of food by that point and would rather sleep than eat. A few hours later and I'm craving though, and for days I'll be eating relentlessly.

It's also the same after a step up in training intensity, or if I've had a lay-off and get back into running, although to a lesser degree, and I assume is just my body's natural way of ensuring it's got enough calories in reserve. 

drunken monkey 14 Jun 2019
In reply to yorkshireman:

I'm the same - after ultras i can barely look at food.

Next day however, i'll want to eat everything in the house. That can last for weeks lol

Neil Williams 14 Jun 2019
In reply to drunken monkey:

> I'm the same - after ultras i can barely look at food.

> Next day however, i'll want to eat everything in the house. That can last for weeks lol

Same here.  On a race my gut basically shuts down so I can't face any food straight after (I guess the blood is needed for the muscles), but it leaves me ravenous for weeks.

Roadrunner6 14 Jun 2019
In reply to hutchymh:

I find a good savory meal helps. I certainly eat more for a few days after, but if you burn 3000-5000 calories your body will want them back..

Roadrunner6 14 Jun 2019
In reply to yorkshireman:

I have to be careful with that. I eat a lot if shit during marathon training and try to limit it. But if I'm doing a 12-14 mile run after work I want food before that run. Often its the old two spoonfuls of nutella and leave for my run.

Neil Williams 14 Jun 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

The problem with 2 spoonfuls of Nutella is that it rapidly becomes a whole jar...it is by far the best way to eat Nutella (sod faffing around with bread), and I have a sweet tooth

Post edited at 19:12
 Wainers44 14 Jun 2019
In reply to hutchymh:

Yep, I eat like a porker the week following an ultra. Not surprising as I am so totally rubbish at eating during....

Don't generally feel like eating straight after and I am ashamed to say that after the Arc50 miler this year I opened the first beer (Mena Dhu) to be drunk after a month with none, and couldn't drink it. Ruined the whole race for me!

yorkshireman 15 Jun 2019
In reply to Neil Williams:

> The problem with 2 spoonfuls of Nutella is that it rapidly becomes a whole jar...it is by far the best way to eat Nutella (sod faffing around with bread), and I have a sweet tooth

This is where you and Roadrunner are going wrong. I've graduated to eating a spoonful of Nutella and a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter (double dipping, my own jars ) sometimes mixed in with a bite of banana if I'm feeling ritzy. Taste sensation!

To Iain's point though. Despite craving more during up ticks in training its easy to overeat. I think especially as I've become a better and more efficient runner over the years I really don't need as many calories as I really think I do. I also worry about the visceral fat that foods like that leave even though I'm not necessarily putting on weight. It's not stopped me eating the Nutella yet though. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...