Sub zero / winter Double sleeping bags ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wolfbane 12 Jun 2019

Hi 

Every mummy bag I have ever had I can never fully fasten - without pain in my shoulders - they are all just too narrow , where can I get a decent Winter double size sleeping bag for December and January in Scotland ie -10c ? 

Mark Stevenson 12 Jun 2019
In reply to wolfbane:

Have a look at https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/sleeping-bags

Some of the best bags around with loads more options than other manufacturers including complete custom design (for a price).

OP wolfbane 12 Jun 2019
In reply to Mark Stevenson:

Thanks , they do seem really expensive - and no double size bags, maximum chest i can see is 53 inch   circumference  , would still be tight/uncomfortable

Post edited at 19:17
 Dave the Rave 12 Jun 2019
In reply to wolfbane:

> Thanks , they do seem really expensive - and no double size bags, maximum chest i can see is 53 inch   circumference  , would still be tight/uncomfortable

What the f—k are you and how fast can you run?

OP wolfbane 12 Jun 2019
In reply to Dave the Rave:

Lol , theryl be no running just hiking and mountainneering

a crap climber 12 Jun 2019
In reply to wolfbane:

Military sleeping bags might be worth a look, they're often sized so you can get in them wearing body armour and ammo pouches etc. The standard issue British ones are huge, though wouldn't be very comfortable at those temperatures, plus they pack down to the size and weight of a small hatchback.

Snugpack springs to mind as a potential option though https://www.snugpak.com/

Looks like you might not even be limited to olive green

ShortLock 13 Jun 2019
In reply to a crap climber:

Second recommendation for Snugpak.

You can get expansion panels for Snugpak bags too (maybe for other manufacturers, which is worth looking into, but I'm not sure for which). Standard advice with Snugpak is to avoid the Basecamp range because they're truly massive and pretty heavy (mine's 2.4kg), so worth shelling out a bit more for the Softie insulated ones.

Dr.S at work 13 Jun 2019
In reply to ShortLock:

Quite a few company’s do make expansion baffles - ME and Western mountaineering off the top of my head. Have a look at the ultralight outdoors website, have you considered a quilt?

top cat 13 Jun 2019
In reply to wolfbane:

My Mountain Hardware sleeping bags [Ghost, 5 season, and Spectre? 3/4 season] are both significantly wider than any other make I've used.

I'm not very wide myself but reckon that bags need to be wide enough for comfort and the ability to dress/undress in them.  Some are cut too neatly for this in order to save weight.  This looks good on paper of course but in practise doesn't work at all.

Gadameer 13 Jun 2019
In reply to wolfbane:

Robens sleeping bags are worth a look. Danish company, much roomier in the shoulders than most other bags. Good value for what they are too. A Serac 900 perhaps?

https://www.robens.de/en-gb/shop/outdoor-sleeping-gear/sleeping-bags/serac-...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...