Painting advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ffati 11 Jun 2019

Have just repaired son cracks in the rendering of the house I have been doing up. Just the painting of the outside to be done now if we get a decent few days of summer!!! The gable end faces the prevailing wind and rain is there some sort of waterproof paint I can put on as a belts and braces gesture or will normal masonry paint be ok.

cheers

ffati

NottsRich 11 Jun 2019
In reply to ffati:

Spray a silane-based water repellent on the outside, after painting it? Will make re-painting it harder though. Usually lasts about a year before needing to be re-applied. Not sure why normal masonry paint won't be enough though.

Rigid Raider 11 Jun 2019
In reply to ffati:

Normal masonry paint, but don't buy a cheap one as it won't have the right amounts of fungicide, UV absorber and whatnot. 

OP ffati 11 Jun 2019
In reply to NottsRich:

That’s the question if normal masonry paint would be enough?

OP ffati 11 Jun 2019
In reply to Rigid Raider:

Any recommendations all the other houses I’ve painted I used sandex

daWalt 11 Jun 2019
In reply to NottsRich:

> Spray a silane-based water repellent on the outside, after painting it?

before painitng - surely...

needs to penetrate into the brick/stone/conc

although that would be belt and braces because you would normally use sealer if you were leaving it as exposed brick/stone/cost

Post edited at 17:37
 Snyggapa 11 Jun 2019
In reply to ffati:

Silicate paint, either earthborn, Mike Wye or keim. Expensive but worth every penny.

It's the stuff they paint lighthouses with. Have used keim on my current place, don't expect to paint it again in my lifetime

https://www.womersleys.co.uk/blog?Blog=142

Post edited at 20:12

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...