Slightside (Horn Crag Gullies) Any info available

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PaulTclimbing 10 Jun 2019

Hi, I was out on a walk from Scafell to Slightside and down to the river Esk at Scar lathing. I looked down 2 or 3 gullies found south east of the Slight side summit (which looked like you could descend down through Horn Crag) and thought about descending them. However without an easy view and in bad visibility with very poor weather ( and whilst listening to my wife's 'common sense' pleas) I decided not to descend any of them but to carry on down the ridge due south and return around underneath Horn crag. I'm interested to know the nature of any of these gullies as a direct (quick way?) to get down to the Esk river or if they are not a good means of ascent/descent ? Anyone been and done this; info would be gratefully received prior to a future visit. I saw a few worn grassy areas and cairns like as if it may be possible!

In reply to PaulTclimbing:

Not been in any of the gullies but know slightside quite well and i don't remember the gullies to the east being super inviting, i reckon it'll generally be quicker to drop off from the South on the route marked on the maps and walk round than spend time faffing in a gully. it probably only adds an extra 300m of walking.

OP PaulTclimbing 11 Jun 2019
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

Thanks. They look like they have disturbed scree slopes at the base like as if they are used. Has anyone else scrambled them?   

Dark-Cloud 11 Jun 2019

The Great Lakes Fell race takes a direct line off Slight Side, it close to the race so some recce's may well have used it recently:

https://fellrace.org.uk/races/Greatlakes

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Thanks for that. I can see the map shows a direct line goes down the Horn crag. Do you know which gully they take? Two look possible.

Dark-Cloud 11 Jun 2019

I don't sorry, reading a few notes online i think it just comes straight off the front rather than down a gully

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Thanks again. Crags like this look quite interesting for winter climbing in the future. Quite nicely remote. Still interested in any previous ascents descents.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...