alpine boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm going to the alps for the first time this summer, and I have realised that my Scottish winter boots are going to be way too hot and stiff, can i get away with using a pair of trail runners for approaches and easy stuff and switch to my boots of the harder/colder sections? or should i just go and buy some b2s?

also any recommendations for cheap lightweight soft shell pants?

Thanks!

1philjones1 26 May 2019
In reply to Ethan_Macfarlane:

I guess the answer is ‘it depends’. What sort of routes are you planning to do, how high, what grades, glacier crossings on approach, etc?

For many hut walks, approach shoes are ideal and b2’s are great for most routes at the easier grades. 

I wouldn’t just assume your Scottish winter boots will be too warm though. You’ll see loads of b3’s on all kinds of routes and if you’re planning on doing something like Mt Blanc, it can get v cold on the feet and they would probably be better. I did all my early alpine trips with a pair of Scarpa Freneys and they were fine.

Cheap Alpine pants, the Simond Alpiniste pants are great from Decathlon.

Pero 26 May 2019

I'd agree with the above.  If it's your first trip, stick with the boots you know. A lot of people carry their boots up to the huts and go in approach shoes.

Mark Haward 26 May 2019

As Phil Jones has said. It also varies with time of day, climb to climb, the slope aspect, year to year and which part of the season you are going in. At the moment some areas are very snowy - but this can change fast. Personally I often use 'approach' shoes; including in snow sometimes with very lightweight crampons for shorter, easy access and descent routes. Most of the time I will wear approach shoes and then convert to bigger boots when required ( if earlier in the season or with a recent snowfall / overnight freeze sometimes this can be on the walk in to a hut. ) 

Also agree with the soft shell pants recommendation for higher / colder conditions. Much of the time an even lighter pair can be adequate. 

Have fun!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...