Mont Blanc suitable boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 20 May 2019

Hi guys, 

I am planning on climbing Mont Blanc in mid July. I am struggling to find proper boots to buy. 

From what I read, professional guides suggest proper B3 boots like La Sportiva Nepal Extreme. Others say you can cling MB in running shoes and  jeans. I am aiming somewhere in the middle. 

I have budget for 1 paid or boots and I would like to use them regularly during the winter on lower mountains - 2-3k m. highly. 

Currently I am thinking buying IOWA Ranger GTX https://www.lowaboots.com/mens/trekking-hunting/ranger-iii-gtx-slate . I can get them 40% so it’s quite good deal for me. Should they work for MB? My concern are the crampons - can I use crampons on them and which type (suggestions?).

Thank you!

Andy Hardy 20 May 2019
In reply to Removed UserMishel:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountaineering-boots-blue-id_8324356.html would be my rec. Go to a store and check for fit, obviously but the simond boots would be fine for MB in summer

Removed User 20 May 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Hey Andy, thanks for the suggestion. Still, you think the IOWA Range would work in my case ? As I said I can get them on pretty good price. 

Andy Hardy 20 May 2019

Lowa boots would probably be OK, they looked like B1s, so you'd have to use strap on crampons (no real hardship on something like the Gouter route) However, your link showed a list price of $400, compared to £130 for the Decathlon boots, even with your discount You'd be better off with the Decathlon ones (if they fit)

tingle 20 May 2019

For the iowas, will they take a strap on crampon? Probably initially, but they dont seem to be designed for stiffness so it will not be safe and it will probably come off.

Winter climbing where? in the UK? Walking or ice/mixed?

I have managed in Trango's up to that altitude but it was about as risky as i would go.

If you want to save money go to a shop try all mountaineering specific boots that fit you and the climb then look for the pair second hand.

acrkirby 20 May 2019

You can currently get Scarpa Mont Blancs for £220 at Outside UK. 

They are as good as Nepals from la sportiva and miles better than those  Iowa boots and about a £100 cheaper.

Removed User 20 May 2019
In reply to acrkirby:

https://www.lowa.co.uk/shop/product-93-cevedale-pro-gtx This is my other possible chose. Main concern for these.l boots was whether the would be comfortable enough for lower attitude hiking. 

Misha 20 May 2019

The first boots you linked aren’t suitable. You need proper B2 or B3 boots which take a proper crampon (with a clip at the back) if you’re going to do MB or winter mountaineering.

Another option is renting boots in Cham. 

Mark Haward 20 May 2019

As Misha has said, the first pair are not suitable. The second pair look appropriate. However, personal fit is very important. Do try them on and preferably try different boots if you can. Mont Blanc is a long day ( or two ) in uncomfortable boots so get some B2 or B3 boots that fit you well.

If you are using the boots for mostly lower walking then a pair of B2 boots should be fine. As Misha says, there are plenty of boot and crampon hire shops in and around Chamonix which could be a good option.

Enjoy,

Mark

Gav_92 27 May 2019

Sorry cant comment on suitability for mont blanc but I have used these as my winter hiking boots for past 3 seasons. Even during long days they still proved comfortable. Sole is slightly curved so you can roll from heel to toe and keep a semi natural walking movement 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...