Mountain Equipment Tupilak or Ogre Rucksacks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sutty22 18 May 2019

I currently use an Osprey Mutant 38 rucksack for 90% for my walking and climbing. I'm in the market for a new pack as the Osprey is fairly well battered by now and doesn't sit well against my back any more.

I'm toying with the idea of a slightly larger pack that will accommodate some camping gear for longer trips/summer ML training etc as well as my regular days out

I like the look of the Tupilak or Ogre packs from Mountain Equipment. Obviously I will head to the shops when I can and try everything on, with load etc but just wondering if anyone had experienced either pack. I've read some decent reviews on the Tulipak 37 although there's not much on the 45. I also thought the Ogre might be worth a look at 42 litres, but I can't seem to find any reviews on this.

Anyone used either of these packs and able to offer any insight?

Thanks, Chris

UKH Forums 18 May 2019
This thread was started in the HILLTALK forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Climbing Gear
Post all your climbing gear-related questions here. You know how you love comparing Friends with Camalots!

More Forum descriptions - http://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/info/forums.html
 asteclaru 18 May 2019
In reply to Sutty22:

I have the Tupilak 45. I too have bought it because I wanted something slightly bigger than my Mutant 38. 

Would I recommend it to you? It depends a lot on what you intend to use it for. If you're climbing hard alpine routes where every single gram counts, then go for it. However, if you're mostly walking or cragging (as I do), I would suggest that you look elsewhere for two reasons:

- it's way too much rucksack and as such too expensive

- it's not particularly comfy, which is understandable, considering that it's quite economical with the padding to keep the weight down. It's nowhere near as comfy as the Mutant 38, for example, and I wouldn't want to carry more than say 6-8 kgs in it for a long time.

Other than that, the pack is fairly tough and I like that there's minimum faff with it (just one big compartment to shove everything in and a small pocket inside for bits and pieces).

I bought the Tupilak before ME had come out with the Ogre. If I was in the market for it now, I would save some money and go with the Ogre instead, as it's very similar but about £50 cheaper.

Siward 19 May 2019
In reply to Sutty22:

Perhaps have a look at one of these:

https://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/products/rucksacks-bags/climbingalpine/

UK made, customisable, very good...

OP Sutty22 21 May 2019
In reply to asteclaru:

Thanks, that’s some good information there, exactly what i was after. Given that i’m rarely doing anything super hard or super alpine i will consider your comments when i’m trying on. 

For sure i’ll have a serious look at the ogre, but reading the reviews, i may also have a good look at the latest edition of the osprey mutant.

Think it’s going to boil down to a day in Aviemore trying all the packs on and walking around the shops.

OP Sutty22 21 May 2019
In reply to Siward:

Thanks, i’ll have a look. Can’t say i’ve heard of these before, but i’ll check them out.

TobyA 21 May 2019
In reply to Sutty22:

> i may also have a good look at the latest edition of the osprey mutant.

I find it's a comfy carry with a heavy load of winter climbing gear, or weekend solo backpacking kit in it. My main problem was the colour scheme made it fiddly in poor weather/at night - but if you're not a winter climber you might never notice that.  https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/rucksacks/medium/osprey_mutant_38_pack-1134...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...