Crampon and boot compatibility

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hey guys, I need some advice on whether my gear is good to use.

I have myself a pair of Scarpa manta pro GTX (size 46) and petzl lynxs. I use the flex toe bail as the boots don't have a toe welt and my rear heel locker is attached to the front most slot. When I place the boot in the crampon at its tightest, prior to the heel clip, the crampon stays attached from vigorous shaking. Once I heel lock, the entire boot shifts slightly forward and the rear base isn't in contact with the back side of the crampon.

I am wondering if this is a big problem? I have used them for mountaineering with no problem but wonder how they will do on short ice climbing sections.

Thanks!

jjclarke70 16 May 2019
In reply to Luca Karjalainen:

I also have manta Pro and lynx. I would say a tiny gap between the back of the boot and crampon is not an issue as long as the crampon is still secure (no movement on the boot) if your version of the lynx has a tension adjust screw in the heel clip (not sure the newer version does) then you could try the heel bar in the rear set of holes as this should create more of a downwards pull on the boot rather than pushing it forwards 

it624 16 May 2019

I'm not sure if it's a problem, but I can tell you it's not unique to Petzl crampons - I get a similar situation with Mantas and my G12s

Can you not adjust crampons short, when you clip rear binding, heel falls into rear posts?

Stuart

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...