OPINION: Why You Should Get Out More With the Kids

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
A family outdoor adventure is much better than an afternoon playing Minecraft Outdoors writer and primary school teacher Rachel Crolla, co-author of a new child-oriented guide to the Lake District, explains why having outdoor adventures with the children is more important than ever.

Read more
 dunc56 13 May 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Oh my God ! Did anyone do a risk assessment on this !

steve taylor 13 May 2019

Fair article, but it's all common sense.

Nice book plug at the end

Toerag 13 May 2019

Should've found out where the DofE kids were from and reported them, that was truly unacceptable behaviour anywhere.

88Dan 13 May 2019

Is it not common knowledge that kids who sit indoors playing computer games instead of exercising outdoors end up brain dead fat and die younger?

pasbury 13 May 2019
In reply to 88Dan:

No; because it’s a recent phenomenon.

Who knows yet, and it’s not just children whose brains are being changed by tech. 

88Dan 13 May 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Tell me about it. I can't believe how many people, mainly kids these days are dependant on their phone and or the amount of time they use them for. You can't get any conversation out of them either unless you call or text because they don't know how to communicate with others without the use of a phone.

sebastien 14 May 2019

I have a basic daily objective for my kids (4 and 5.5 y old) since the start: I want them to collapse in bed at 8pm latest, without a word, without a noise. And the only efficient way to achieve that is for them to be outside as much as possible, comes rain or shine. 

The only issue that I had not forseen is that they are getting more and more stamina...

Monk 14 May 2019

Nice article. It's pretty much the approach I take with my kids. Mini adventures and exploring nature. It's not the big days and challenging routes I used to do, but great fun and really rewarding... apart from the days when you get it wrong and overstretch them. There is one particular day that will stay with me for a long time and I nearly gave up trying to get them outdoors! We persevered though and all good now. I guess like anything, you sometimes overestimate abilities, but at least it helps find the boundaries!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...