Guy wearing trainers falls 60ft 5.9+

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 BALD EAGLE 10 May 2019
In reply to ZEbbEDY:

For anyone who has some time to burn, this is a priceless post on Mountain Project relating to this fall. And with comments from the guy who actually took the fall:

https://www.mountainproject.com/forum/topic/116841908/fall-from-2nd-flatiro...

Pure comedy gold and compares to some of the best UKC threads over the years... 

Deadeye 10 May 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Well, that's pretty funny...but... Confession time.

I left university and started work in 1985. In 1986 my employer sent me to Colorado for meeting that no one else wanted to do. The work bits spanned the weekend.

So on the Saturday I went out to the flatirons and tried to climb the middle one, in trainers.

Now, I've got no excuse - I had done a reasonable amount of climbing in the UK, but youth, opportunity and a misplaced sense of competence got the better if me. Anyway it was slabby and inviting and with nice lines if weakness and resting places to follow.

I got maybe 2/3rds of the way up and then got gripped so decided to climb down. Now, the downclimb was also easy *provided that* I could pick the right runnels ...and if course I couldn't and was very soon sketching down terrain that I hadn't come up and was really unhappy on. So much so that I went back up and down twice before finally getting to the foot, chastened.

I was an idiot; so is this chap but it doesn't mean we can't empathise a little?

cb294 10 May 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

Absolutely. The Tower in the Clouds video from that thread is genius:

vimeo.com/135289850

88Dan 10 May 2019
In reply to JimbotheScot:

Someone get this boy a pair of climbing shoes.

mick taylor 10 May 2019

Jesus!  So Kyle Walker totally decks it, flies back to the UK then plays right back for Man city against Spurs the next day. Awesome Dude !!!!!!!!!!!!! Explains why they got beat, but he has gone right up in my estimation.

planetmarshall 10 May 2019
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

> Pure comedy gold and compares to some of the best UKC threads over the years... 

Will be looking forward to any opportunity to use "You are the road cyclists of mountain sports."

tingle 10 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

I love this, it had me going for a minute too. That giant cam really came in handy

MonkeyPuzzle 10 May 2019

To be fair, the guy had seen Free Solo once, so... Why not, right?

McHeath 10 May 2019
In reply to dunc56:

Seems like they're designed for skateboarding, that explains a lot.

McHeath 10 May 2019
In reply to cb294:

Brilliant! The best bit's at 01:32, very briefly on the left ...

Milesy 10 May 2019

5.13 my baws, even 5.9 seems doubtful. No one in my experience who’s at a level of soloing even 5.9 in trainers is stupid enough to make claims that they were climbing 5.13 as they know fine well their peers who know the grades and the crag will call them out. 

Milesy 10 May 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

> I was an idiot; so is this chap but it doesn't mean we can't empathise a little?

no because he has decided to bullshit his story and then post what I can only describe at click bait to his video on YouTube, obviously quite enjoying the claim. 

No wants to revel in that sort of attention. 

In days gone past people would have gave fake names to journalists to hide their misadventure, and guys in mountain rescue have refused to call mountain rescue in areas other than their own, to avoid shame and ridicule. 

Sure post a video to your peers, and look at a frank and honest debrief, and a learning from it, but this guy is a evidently enjoying it 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

tehmarks 10 May 2019
In reply to Milesy:

I'm sure the same was said about a certain sporadic prolific poster on here in the beginning - and look what the general opinion of the forum is now. It's easy to judge, but there could be any number of explanations for that person's behaviour, temporary or otherwise, that we're not currently aware of.

That said, the entire thread is a train wreck. Doesn't look good on either side from where I'm sat.

NaCl 10 May 2019

"Heal up bro, thnk for the share. Hope you stick the landing next time." -  I may have just snorted my coffee into my own lap from that one. 

jpicksley 11 May 2019
In reply to McHeath:

Well spotted. Missed it on first viewing. Hilarious.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...