OK, which is the best VF lanyard?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 27 Apr 2019

Planning to take a look at VF this summer in Europe, so whats the best lanyard?

Is there such a thing as reusable, or should I think disposable?

Recommendations please. 

Thanks

Fred

OP Fredt 27 Apr 2019

Anyone?

tjin 27 Apr 2019
In reply to Fredt:

With the latest requirement, all new ones are screamer types (some old models with friction plates can be found, but have a smaller operating parameters). Only good for one fall. With VF, just try not to fall; high fall factors and metal bits in the way.

Jenny C 27 Apr 2019
In reply to Fredt:

If I was replacing mine I would look for the longest possible lanyards and probably pay the extra for one with a swivel to reduce twisting.

Choice of krabs is a biggie, having girlie hands many of the bulky (more expensive) krabs are to big to easily manipulate, so worth trying in shops to find ones which suit you.

beardy mike 27 Apr 2019
In reply to Fredt:

There is no such thing as a reusable VF lanyard - generally the rope friction device versions will tear the rope mantle to some extent. Plus if you fully deploy a kit, it's unlikely you would be in any shape to reset and climb off. Most likely you'd be in a helicopter - they are more death prevention items than a belay device. 

If you really want to reduce a fall, the Skylotec Skyrider is worth a look as it has a device which grips the cable thereby reducing the distance you fall.

Takein 27 Apr 2019
In reply to Fredt:

I've got the Salewa Premium Attak set and I'm really happy with it. I certainly wouldn't want anything longer. The only reason to pay more (in my opinion) is to get one with a swivel (eg Edelrid Cable Comfort). The swivels prevent the lanyards getting tangled, but if you pay attention to what you're doing the lanyards don't get tangled anyway. 

I don't see them as reusable or disposable. They are just a safety device. Like a safety net or like placing screamers while ice climbing, i have no intention or reason to fall on them. VF is not like rock climbing where falls are inevitable and even encouraged, with VF you  have the lanyards clipped 'just in case'.

That said, on very steep VF it can be useful to have a short cows tail in addition to your VF lanyards. Then if you get pumped on an overhanging section (or just want to stop, enjoy the exposure or take a pic), you can clip your cow's tail and hang on it to rest!

Mark Eddy 27 Apr 2019
In reply to Fredt:

I've used Black Diamond Easy Rider sets quite extensively and found them really nice and easy to use. Construction seems nice and solid. Had them for about 3 years now and still look like new 

beardy mike 27 Apr 2019
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Not sure they are for sale any more.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...