Tent peg recommendation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 24 Apr 2019

Hi.

What's the best peg to buy for a really secure placement? I have a Tarptent Moment DW which depends on two stakes / pegs but the ones provided are round and fat and do not work well in Scottish terrain, which ranges from boggy to near compacted gravel.

As the tent relies on these two pegs, their fixing is vital.

Ta

Hat Dude 24 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I've found the Y section pegs like Alpkit Y beams (other brands are available) hold well.

One drawback with them is that if you bash them in with a rock you can get sharp burrs on the top.

Mal Grey 24 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Same as Hat Dude, Alpkit Y section pegs are good for this, and light. https://www.alpkit.com/products/y-beams

Post edited at 14:09
 PaulJepson 24 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

MSR Groundhogs. By far the best pegs I've ever used.

6 lasted the entire Appalachian Trail with my TT Notch. 

If you're lightweight hiking then they are the best option I've used. For car camping I use stakes like these: https://www.towsure.com/traditional-cross-tent-rock-nail-pegs-23cm-pack-of-... because you can bash them into any ground without fear of them bending. Weigh a lot though and wouldn't want to carry. 

Tigger 24 Apr 2019
In reply to PaulJepson:

+1 for the Groundhogs mine have lasted years!

subtle 24 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I always look for largish stones to wrap/tie the guy ropes round - if you only require two then this shouldn't pose a problem in Scotland - and if you aim to set up camp you can always look for two stones for the last 10/15 minutes before settling upon a suitable camp spot

OP Flinticus 24 Apr 2019
In reply to subtle:

That doesn't work with the way the end  lines are set up on this tent - the pegging line forms a small pyramid, if you imagine the base of the pyramid as the end face of the tent and the point as where the peg goes (its a classic single hoop solo tent design)

88Dan 24 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Decathlon sell a pack of 6 heavy duty tent pegs for £6.99

Solaris 24 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Lots of v useful info (and a huge range of pegs, too) here:

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/ten...

damowilk 25 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Hard to beat DAC v pegs for good all round performance at a light weight, usually easy to get hold of, often they’re rebadged as the pegs in decent tent brands. I also carry 1 or 2 MSR groundhogs, but they are heavier, and painful pushing in! For really hard ground I also have some thick titanium nail type pegs, great in stony ground.

Oh, and I agree that the rubbish tubular pegs with Tarptents are a disappointment!

Post edited at 01:00
 SenzuBean 25 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I have the same tent, and went for the Hilleberg pegs. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this was because of a rough night I spent in a storm on Moel Siabod where the tent felt like it was going to fly away, and I spent the night holding the tent up.
I also often carry some of the MSR snow pegs - which are especially useful in snow or bog.

The other thing I highly recommend doing is upgrading the guylines from whatever toothfloss it's sent with, to the MSR reflective guylines which are slightly thicker. The plastic cord lock thingies handle it just fine and won't release tension in high winds (unlike the original cord). You can also make your guylines longer this way, which also makes the pegs harder to pull out. Also longer guylines let you put a large rock in.

Post edited at 04:43
 RR 25 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

+1 for the MSR Groundhogs or MSR Cyclone's (I use them for tarping)!

Solaris 25 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Just to follow up on my hasty reply last night, I have found corkscrew design pegs have good holding power in soft, sandy terrain, and they are tough when they need hammering in to rocky soil.

In particular, the Lightwave ones are strong, and MSR Cyclones are strong and have a useful leash. I have some Sea to Summit Ground Control pegs but their heads are very soft - unlike the MSRs and Lightwaves, they do not have any reinforcement - and don't take much hammering with rocks before they deform. Hilleberg Y pegs are strong and seem to hold surprisingly well for their size and design in soft soil.

A Hilleberg tip I have not tried is to use two pegs in line per pegging point, one 10cm away from the other, attached to it by some guy line, so that the loading is distributed to both pegs.

Welsh Kate 25 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I use a combination - MSR Groundhogs which are the bees knees, but I'll also take a couple of V shaped tent pegs (Vargo, Lightwave do them among others), plus my 'poo trowel' is an MSR Blizzard stake with a bit of closed cell mat wrapped round the 'handle' which can double up as a peg for soft ground if necessary.

Hat Dude 25 Apr 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

Why MSR Groundhogs are so much more expensive than the Alpkit Y beams?

Specs appear to say they are 10mm longer otherwise they appear identical, MSR state 7000 series Aluminium & Alpkit "aircraft-grade"

In the end though they're just tent pegs

PaulJepson 25 Apr 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

Because they're a lot more proven I guess? If it's something you're going to buy once then you'll pay an extra couple of quid for something that's bomber. 

OP Flinticus 29 Apr 2019
In reply to SenzuBean:

I've replaced the hoop guylines and got four extra pegging points on the perimeter of the flysheet added (had to send tent away for a repair). I think the latest version now has more as standard as well as a more ground hugging fly.

Pkrynicki1984 30 Apr 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I make my own , vee section titanuim legs and snow / bog 6000 series aluminium ones . Let me know if you want photos / more info. 

d_b 30 Apr 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

But they are lovely and red and have a shiny bit of string on them!

Back when they were the only Y pegs readily available I bought a load of the mountain hardware ones, lost them, bought more, found the ones I had lost and now I have a pile of them at the bottom of the gear cupboard.  They are still going strong.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...