Brexit support and gender

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Johnson 04 Apr 2019

Why are so many brexiteers male? I was glancing at https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/04/brexit-brexiteers-bri... and it occurred that all the names I was reading, and all the names I associate with the ERG and the like, are of males. Obviously there are exceptions (Kate Hoey, Gisela Stuart, etc), but anecdotally the male/female ratio seems much higher than that of parliament (currently 67%/32%) for example.

I have some half-baked theories, and I've done no "research" (ie random google searches), but I wondered what the UKC collective thought.

So?

jkarran 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Andy Johnson:

> Why are so many brexiteers male?

I read an interesting piece recently looking at unemployment and more specifically underemployment stats. While these are on average reasonably stable in the uk and have been for a while there is a gender difference, particularly around under-employment. While this has been falling steadily for women as we recovered from 2008, itself a success, the same is not true for men. As the economy is not really growing to create new jobs men are being out-competed and to an extent displaced by women entering or returning to the workplace. This worsening situation for men stokes resentment which has been misdirected by governments desperate to protect their 'low unemployment' lie then by people that recognised an opportunity to further redirect this already misdirected anger to attack the EU.

That doesn't really explain the gender difference in parliament given MPs are well employed. As depressing a conclusion as it is I suspect a lot of it has to do with the masters of the universe entitled bullshit a lot of these tory boys were raised with in their privileged gender segregated schools.

jk

In reply to jkarran:

This post reads quite confused to me, I think i get what you're trying to say but ...

"This worsening situation for men stokes resentment which has been misdirected by governments.." 

this implies governments can direct resentment and in this case, mistakenly misdirected it?

" I suspect a lot of it has to do with the masters of the universe entitled bullshit a lot of these tory boys were raised with in their privileged gender segregated schools."

This is a conclusion to what?

RomTheBear 04 Apr 2019

> Why are so many brexiteers male?

Does their gender matter ?

Timmd 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

I wasn't sure about the masters of the universe gender entitled tory vibe either to do with Brexit, unless it's about these men feeling like their position is being displaced a little, too, which explains their Brexit sentiments as well as that in more working class and less privileged blokes. A sentiment I came across recently was 'Where equality leads to the loss of privilege, it can feel like oppression' *.

*It comes to mind when some men talk about how the tide has turned against straight white men.

Post edited at 18:32
In reply to Timmd:

What do you make of this Tim (from 0:50)

youtube.com/watch?v=hx0vRf9ZfYc&

I thought it was pretty funny but I bet you wouldn't see an advert like that featuring a female. Bias in the media exists (although I'm ok with that) 

The New NickB 04 Apr 2019
In reply to jkarran:

Are women less likely to be delusional, inadequate fantasists? Some of the ERG seem to fit this description quite well, it's two vice chairs particularly. Obviously Andrea Leadsom doesn't see gender as a barrier to being every bit as stupid as some of her male colleagues.

TobyA 04 Apr 2019

On a related note, is it just me who looks at litter and wonders if there is any relationship between voting leave or remain and being a lazy shit and throwing rubbish out your car window?

The more I cycle around England, the more I wonder why we have so much crap in all our verges and along the roadsides when so many people seem to go on at great length about being so proud of their country.

stevieb 04 Apr 2019

In the last withdrawal agreement vote, women were slightly overrepresented among the hardline brexiter ‘Spartans’.

20% of Tory mps are female. 

6 of 28 Spartans were female (21.5%)

1 of 6 hardline remain rebels was female (16.5%)

so looks like its perception.  

Suella Braverman, Andrea Jenkyns, Priti Patel are a match for any of the men. 

Timmd 04 Apr 2019
In reply to TobyA: I think you're in danger of casting aspersions, human failings are universal.

Post edited at 22:08
 Timmd 04 Apr 2019
In reply to Phantom Disliker: I dunno, I think I'd have sat a man among the people sitting next to the man-spreader too. There are ways or areas in which men come off worse, and sexism in either direction isn't so good.

jerrytf 05 Apr 2019

It's about jobs, territory, national identities and not succumbing to a perceived greater authority, with toxic masculinity engrained in the best of us how much of Brexit is really a conscious decision for any of us I don't know, interesting piece at https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2018/10/24/leave-voting-men-brexit-and-the-c.... If there's this much furore pre-Brexit, afterwards, who knows how the ramifications will extend 

jkarran 05 Apr 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

> This post reads quite confused to me, I think i get what you're trying to say but ... this implies governments can direct resentment and in this case, mistakenly misdirected it?

I believe they can, more commonly they allow the supportive press to do their dirty work for them unchallenged. The lot of men in the workplace is gradually getting worse in real terms, it isn't clear from the shopfloor that part of the cause is better qualified more able women displacing them but still, someone else must be to blame. Immigrants and the EU are convenient scapegoats for a government that has neglected regional development and cut away their safety net.

> This is a conclusion to what?

Why there are many more brexity men in the ruling classes than women. I suspect it is a throwback to their posh boys schools, raised entitled, told the world is theirs to rule they now find it isn't.

jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...