Lightweight tent recommendations? 1man sub 1.2kg

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 badgerjockey 30 Mar 2019

I've been using a trusty Vango Banshee 200 (2.4kg) for about ten years now and have gotten several times its original £90 price tag out of it. I love the thing, but its a bit knackered now and I'm ready to graduate to something a bit more bling.

I'm looking for something three-season to use in UK weekend and sometimes longer backpacking/bikepacking trips.

I'm looking for something laughably lightweight, no more than half the weight of the Banshee. Sub 1.2kg factoring in bags/pegs/footprint etc. So ideally a listed weight well under this.

Ideally it would be well ventilated as well so to avoid condensation - I sleep pretty warm so can handle a bit of a breeze.

The range listed on Ultralight Outdoor Gear for 1man tents is pretty baffling but from what I can tell, the US brands Nemo and Big Agnes tents aren't really going to take much bad weather and the Terra Nova and Nordisk tents generate a lot of condensation. But maybe I'm wrong... This leaves tents from Macpac, MSR, Vaude, Vango, Hilleberg and Marmot....

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/tents-shelters-c25/one...

I like the look of the Vaude Hogan, Big Agnes Copper Spur, Vango F10 Helium, and MSR Freelite....

Hopefully people have some experience with these??

H

DaveHK 30 Mar 2019
In reply to badgerjockey:

Check out Trekkertent. I have the Stealth 1.5 and it is superb. 

If you don't use walking poles separate poles are available from Bearbones bike packing.

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/

Post edited at 09:33
 angry pirate 30 Mar 2019

In the time-honoured tradition of ignoring one of your specifications, the Alpkit Ordos 2 https://www.alpkit.com/products/ordos-2   is a decent little backpacking tent. 1.3kg so overweight but stands up to wind and rain well and is luxurious for one. Mine is a few years old now and is going strong. A copy of a Big Agnes tent apparently.

My only niggle is the inner first pitching so you do need to get your skates on I'd it's peeing it down.

OP badgerjockey 30 Mar 2019
In reply to angry pirate:

Couldn't agree more - I'd much rather go outer first/all in a oner. US designs don't really seem to take into account how much it rains here...

wilkesley 30 Mar 2019

If you are happy to buy from China, I am considering a Lanshan2. Around £100. UK review here: http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?threads/3f-lanshan-2.3561/

TobyA 30 Mar 2019

> Couldn't agree more - I'd much rather go outer first/all in a oner. US designs don't really seem to take into account how much it rains here...

I still think this is massively over done. I put this one up in the rain a number of times when testing https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/tents+bivvys/msr_elixir_1_tent-1139... you have maybe three minutes or so when the fly isn't over the inner (actually, you can have the fly over the inner all the time but it's a faff that is tricky in the wind). The water on the inner drains off or evaporates pretty quickly - I've used inner pitching tents since 1992, and I've never thought - "I wish I had an outer first pitching tent" because it was raining whilst I pitched. And that's about the only advantage to outer-first tents I can think of, plus there are various disadvantages.

This https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/tents+bivvys/macpac_sololight_1-per... is a good solo tent at around a kilo. Inner and outer pitch together so that saves on hassle when pitching it on your own. Not used loads of contemporary alternative and there are definitely lighter 1 person tents out there, but the Macpac definitely works in rubbish British weather, so there is that!

Post edited at 10:44
 abr1966 30 Mar 2019
In reply to wilkesley:

> If you are happy to buy from China, I am considering a Lanshan2. Around £100. UK review here: http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?threads/3f-lanshan-2.3561/

I have one of these.....its great!

jonnie3430 30 Mar 2019

I've heard good things about these https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.aliexpress.com/item/32695338570.html from volbiv paragliders, and will get one myself when I get around to it.

angry pirate 30 Mar 2019
In reply to TobyA:

By and large I agree with you: my old Wild Country Voyager pitched inner first and the inner fabric was weatherproof enough that it wasn't an issue.

With my Ordos the inner is mostly mesh so doesn't do much to keep rain out while you wrestle the flysheet on. I just tend to wait for a break in the weather if that's an option or just get a shift on.

I think the advantages of an inner first tent, like stability in bad weather and an ability to free stand outweigh that one disadvantage. I've slept in enough tunnel tents in less than ideal conditions to prefer a freestanding tent where the fly is stretched over the poles.

tehmarks 30 Mar 2019

I have a Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2, which weighs in at 1.2kg all-in, and I think the SL1 would be ideal for you. Mesh inner and great ventilation (though this makes it less ideal for use in colder conditions), compact, and reasonably bombproof considering the weight. I'd personally shy away from the Copper Spur unless weight is absolutely critical; it probably won't be as durable as you hope.

No problems with weather, it's been solid in all conditions I've thrown at it. Including a horrendous overnight storm in the Lakes while pitched 'fast fly' without the inner.

Or for something a bit different, how about a Tarptent Notch. No experience, but I strongly considered buying one. ~700g, and rave reviews from what I've read.

OwenM 30 Mar 2019
In reply to tehmarks:

I have a Tarptent notch, it's light because it has no poles, you use your trekking poles. The outer fly is good with space either side for kit etc. The inner can be either all mesh or half mesh top half and solid material lower half. I have the half mesh version. The inner is quite narrow, only just wide enough to lay down. The doors have an "L" shaped zip which are off set. The left side opens from your hips to shoulder the right side open from hip to feet. I find this a bit annoying as if you put your rucksack in the rightside and cook on the left, you can't get to anything's in you sack.

The seam on the fly do need doping but I've not been wet since I did it. It wasn't that good in wet snow, it built up quite quickly on top of the tent and fell into the inner when I opened the zip. But it's fine for 3 seasons. The ventilation is very good with a vent either end and two at the apex. 

Google tarptent.com 

Tarptent are a one man outfit based in California. Once he's posted your tent to you, you'll have to pay the duty on it before you get it. With all the political b****ks at the moment it could get held up in custom. 

Post edited at 19:42
 Dave Cundy 30 Mar 2019
In reply to OwenM:

I've been using a Tarptent Protrail for a couple of summertime bikepacking trips this last two years.  It weighs in at 995 g, including pole. Its a doddle to put up and hasn't given me any condensation issues.  As it's a single skin with a mesh connection between the groundsheet and the fly, you can't really save anything more weightwise unless you make it of tissue paper.  It packs down to about 2 litres, which is another critical consideration for bike packers, perhaps more so than weight

DaveHK 31 Mar 2019
In reply to Dave Cundy:

The Trekkertent Stealth is pretty much a Scottish made copy of the Protrail.

Run_Ross_Run 31 Mar 2019

I've got the freelite 2 and really impressed with it, got it for back/bikepacking. Mesh inside so plenty of ventilation and loads of space. Weigh is really good for a 2 man. 

Had an atko and it was cr#p inside space and height wise but the freelite has steep walls so no issues with touching head and foot. Should imagine the 1 would be very similar. If you do go for msr then get it from EMS, much cheaper. 

Dr.S at work 31 Mar 2019

Some of the lighter offerings can be tight inside - I’m a short arse 5’7” and so find my TN laser photon fine inside - if you are a six footer it could be tight. Worth looking carefully at footprint and profile if you can not try before purchase.

Tents with the transverse hoop design (TN, wild country, Hilleberg, Vaude, etc etc) all require a good pitch, but can stand up to rough treatment - I got the photon cheap in a sale and would probably get one of the vango variants if buying again as I fancy slightly tougher fabrics. They can be great hill tents, even in winter - see PTC* blog for examples.

i am however now hankering for a proper winter tent........

OP badgerjockey 31 Mar 2019

This is great stuff everyone, thanks. I will check all these out. 

I am indeed a six footer so am expecting it to be cosy. Bugger. 

Do I need a footprint with these tents? Never had one with the banshee but I’m guessing that the ultralight tent’s groundsheet would likely be less robust. Is it a case of only needing a footprint when you think you’ll be pitching on rough ground?

wilkesley 31 Mar 2019

Nip down to your local builders merchants and buy a bit of tyvek. If you want a pre-cut one with edges taped BPL sell them: https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelter-accessories/page/4/

J101 31 Mar 2019

Just remember Ultralight list the weights without pegs(!) and bags to make everything appear as light as possible.

Hilleberg are fantastic but you do pay the premium for that. Lightwave are well regarded by people who own them so might be worth having a look at those.

PaulJepson 31 Mar 2019

Tents for the UK are always a bit of a struggle. I used the Notch on the Pennine Way and it did suffer with condensation from time to time. Benefit is it pitches in a oner, is robust (have had in ~80mph wind and done ~200 nights in it, carried over 3000 trail miles), really roomy for a one-man, and it super light. Negatives are aforementioned condensation and the fact you need hiking poles to pitch - an extra thing to carry if you're cycling. 

If you're happy to spend the money (and a lot of it!), I'd go for a cuben fibre tent. You'll be able to get something very light, very strong and very durable. The other massive benefit is that the material doesn't absorb liquid like sil-nylon, so even though you may get some condensation, you can just shake it off and it will dry real quick. Tarptent are now doing the Notch in this material, and I've heard a lot of good things about Z packs Duplex.

+1 on getting some Tyvek for a ground sheet. Most lightweight tents have a pretty thin floor and a bit of Tyvek will keep it safe and clean. It lasts forever as well. Note - all the lightweight manufacturers will say that their tent doesn't require a ground sheet because it's extra weight that will make their product seem less attractive. I'd never go without one though. To give you an example, the Banshee has a 70 denier groundsheet. The Notch has a 30D.

I've got a Tarptent Notch and a Big Agnes Seedhouse (3), Harry - you're welcome to have a look at either and feel free to pick my brains.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...