Best UK summer mountaineering boots?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mattjohnson1 07 Mar 2019

Hi Folks,

Now that winter is essentially a distant memory, time to start thinking about summer adventures! Currently debating boots to go climbing round the lakes/Snowdonia with over summer. Currently own a pair of meindl Bhutan’s for general walking and some la sportiva Nepal’s for the winter stuff, will these be over kill for summer scrambling and climbing or fit the bill?

cheers

for any advice

Matt

In reply to mattjohnson1:

Nepals will be overkill.

I don't know what you mean by 'climbing' - but if it's scrambling and easy mountain rock climbs, and definitely in summer only, then a lot of folk would prefer approach shoes since they are lighter, more nimble for climbing in, and cooler in hot weather. However if you want one piece of footwear to do everything from summer scrambles through winter walking to winter/alpine mountaineering, then a boot is it. 

If it's definitely boots you want, not approach shoes, then one of the models in our recent B1/B2 all-rounders group test might fit the bill:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/footwear/mountain_boots/all_round_b1-b2_...

These are all winter-worthy to one extent or another, but cross over into other seasons too (some more readily than others).

The key consideration is what fits you personally, so don't skimp on time spent trying various models on.

Re approach shoes, we have a similar group test of those in the pipeline at the moment, but it's too soon to give any recommendations

tagscuderia 07 Mar 2019

Nepal's would be overkill and uncomfortable I'd have thought if you incorporate scrambles into all-day outings e.g. from Ogwen I think that Idwal Staircase > Cneifion Arete > Y Gribin (descent) > Dolmen Ridge > Bristly Ridge (descent) > **anything on Tryfan** is a great day out but even in Rebel Lites it's hard on your feet.

Personally I think that Scarpa's Mescalito Mid GTX is perfect for the UK and great for scrambling. Might be worth a look?

neuromancer 07 Mar 2019

I mean.. is there such a thing as summer Mountaineering in the UK? Maybe... The cullin?

A pair of running shoes!

Gav_92 07 Mar 2019

I use a pair of lowa laurin gtx in summer

Reasonably stiff sole but still comfortable to walk in and decent grip with smooth climbing zone at front inside edge

colinakmc 07 Mar 2019

I have a pair of Scarpa Rangers(? the leather one below the SL) a pair of Inov8 235’s and a pair of Scarpa Crux approach shoes. I like ‘em all for different things - the inov8’s are awesome for scrambling as long as there’s no scree (too painful) also for grass - they’re also a bit cold as winter approaches. The Crux’s are great on mixed terrain and give a bit more protection. The Rangers come out on clatty wet days.

Horses for courses....

kaiser 08 Mar 2019

Adidas Terrex Scope GTX are good.  Stealth rubber sole with good lugs and braking although personally I would prefer a non-goretex version.

DaveHK 08 Mar 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

> A pair of running shoes!

This.

jonnie3430 08 Mar 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com

> Re approach shoes, we have a similar group test of those in the pipeline at the moment, but it's too soon to give any recommendations

Approach shoes are a fashion accessory; they're expensive and wear out too quick.  Just use normal trainers.

GrahamD 08 Mar 2019
In reply to jonnie3430:

> In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com

> Approach shoes are a fashion accessory; they're expensive and wear out too quick.  Just use normal trainers.

I used to this think that - but I practically live in them now.  I find the firmer and better fitting footed perfect for dodgy old joints.  As you say, expensive to get good ones and ones that really fit but not that much more than decent trainers.

GrahamD 08 Mar 2019
In reply to jonnie3430:

Oh and for what it's worth - Merrel Moab for me but this is an entirely fit/comfort thing for me.

SuperstarDJ 08 Mar 2019

Hi,

I use approach shoes where possible in the summer.  They're lighter, more comfortable and I feel more nimble in them.  I'd only go for boots if the weather was really bad and then I'd use my leather walking boots. 

David

jezb1 08 Mar 2019
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Approach shoes are a fashion accessory; they're expensive and wear out too quick.  Just use normal trainers.

Except a good pair are better in every way, other than maybe price.

The New NickB 08 Mar 2019
In reply to jonnie3430:

Have you seen the price of trainers. I'm a runner, I spend a fortune on trainers and for quite a lot of stuff in the hills will use fell or trail shoes. However, if I'm carrying more than a light day sack or scrambling / easy climbing, I would much rather use something a bit stiffer and better suited to rock. I've currently got a pair of La Sportiva TX4, they cost about the same as a pair of fell shoes, are more supportive, climb better and are much, much harder wearing.

jonnie3430 08 Mar 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

> Have you seen the price of trainers. 

Aye, they can be a fashion accessory too, but I get mine from decathlon which keeps the cost down. They've done a marathon and are about to do their second half marathon on Sunday and get used a lot in the hills. They're the off road type ones, about £30? 

TobyA 08 Mar 2019
In reply to jonnie3430:

Decathlon approach shoes are very reasonable though too!

jonnie3430 08 Mar 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Aye, tried a pair and they wore out (stitching right hand side at the bend,) shame too, because there was loads of life left in the rest of them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...