New Tent: advice & comments please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Beachbum 05 Mar 2019

Guys and Gals,

Please could anyone that has sleeping / overnight experience with Vango Nevis 200 or Vango f10 Helium 200 (or similar) offer me a view on them and happiness or regrets?

I'm going to buy one on the internet or ebay / used, so won't be able to get into one to try. I know they are small.  I'm 6ft and buying the 200 so a dog / bags etc can fit as I expect the 100's are a too small for the weight saving, and deffo too small if tent city due to bad weather.

Going to be my dedicated thru-hiking tent and I ain't going down the tarp route as I will use it in West Coast midge mayhem so need protection!

Nevis looks like good value?

jamscoz 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Beachbum:

Helium 200 is a decent tent. The 200 for a person, kit and dog (depending on the dog) is a good size - I use it this way( got the ultralight version) Good packsize, weight and pitches fast...

Post edited at 09:56
 Andypeak 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Beachbum:

I can recommend the helium 200. As a six foot bloke with a Labrador it worked pretty well for me

OP Beachbum 06 Mar 2019
In reply to jamscoz:

Hi, thanks for reply.

Is the helium not the ultra light version? Or is there a helium ultralight as well?

Also, you know the two poles at the ends of the tent, can you use hiking poles instead of the poles they come with?

OP Beachbum 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Andypeak:

Thanks Andy, so you didn't find it too small height wise? Were you stuck in the tent for any long periods due to bad weather?

Cheers

Andypeak 06 Mar 2019
In reply to Beachbum:

You can't really sit up straight in it but I've never had a tent that I could. Certainly spent over 12 hours in it sitting out a storm (without the dog) in relative comfort. To get one that you can fully sit up in would be considerably more weight

PPP 06 Mar 2019
 J101 07 Mar 2019
In reply to Beachbum:

Bought a Nevis 200 last summer, put it up in the garden, took it down and straight back to the shop for a swap with something else. Inner sags in too much even without any wind for my liking, not enough connections to the fly to keep it taut.

For a similar budget the Robbens starlight seems well thought of but no personal experience of that model.

OP Beachbum 10 Mar 2019
In reply to PPP:

Thanks PPP. Good info and good pics. So you have the 100 and feel its big enough? I was thinking about the 200.

Also, could you please tell me - can you substitute your walking poles for the forward and back short poles?

Dr.S at work 10 Mar 2019
In reply to Beachbum:

Doubtful on the poles - and probably a trivial weight saving if you could.

OP Beachbum 10 Mar 2019
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I hear you on the marginal weight, but the thing about this whole ultralight hiking movement is you have to view it in an aggregate of the marginal weight savings across your whole gear. Not a big issue for small trips, but ace for thru-hiking.

Hiking geek and proud!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...