Recommended merino blend base layers?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
benscoble 01 Mar 2019

Merino base layers...

Everyone seems to wax lyrical about this or that brand of Merino based top. 

Ive obediently followed suit, but after years of trying this and that brand, thickness etc, I’ve never found anything that’s, well, not a bit itchy. And they’re not exactly cheap. 

Now I still favour a cotton tee really, there’s times when I’ll use synthetic light weight tops, but never for multi day stuff. And I do have own and use wool based thermals (before merino was marketed) that work In very cold snowy adventures. 

I’ll give this one more crack before forgetting about it completely. I function just fine without merino layers. 

Can anyone recommend a brand that make merino blend base layers that are not itchy and feel comfortable against the skin? 

Oh and not Icebreaker! 

Pedro50 01 Mar 2019
In reply to benscoble:

I think you either find merino itchy or you don't. I can wear any make including Aldi.

GarethSL 01 Mar 2019
In reply to benscoble:

What are you washing it with? I find merino dries out and becomes much more itchy when washed in normal detergent or with non wool specific fabric conditioner. It also loses strength and disintegrates because of this.

If you are washing with a wool specific detergent/ conditioner and still find it itchy then bamboo based base-layers may be a worthy alternative.

brownie mike 02 Mar 2019
In reply to benscoble:

I've got some royal Robbins stuff that is a mix of merino, and maybe bamboo, called merinolux I think. Really rate it personally, and prefer it to normal merino. 

Andy Hardy 02 Mar 2019
In reply to benscoble:

I have a couple of smartwool tops that are soft as butter. 

LastBoyScout 02 Mar 2019
In reply to benscoble:

Isobaa - going cheap on Sport Pursuit.

Feels nice enough to me and I used to hate wool.

AlanLittle 02 Mar 2019
In reply to benscoble:

The only merino-based top I've ever been able to wear is one I got from Patagonia years ago that I think is a merino/polyester blend (label is no longer readable). No idea if their current very expensive merino/polyester mix "capilene air" is similar.

In reply to benscoble:

Having tried several merino tops over the years I'm very much in the same boat as you - I find them all unpleasantly itchy. I'd never wear pure wool. I just use synthetics, which have other advantages over pure wool too (quicker drying, tougher, hold shape better) and well as one drawback versus wool (the smell).

However, we recently reviewed a Thermowave top that combines synthetic and merino, and that does seem to offer the best of both: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/gear/clothing/baselayers/thermowave_merino_xt...

You get the polyester layer on the inside, which in theory ought to eliminate the itch... Theo certainly though so  

neuromancer 04 Mar 2019
In reply to benscoble:

Arc'teryx Satoro. Everything else feels like garbage now but this still makes me happy just putting it on.

Sharp 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

They look good. I was going to suggest the helly hansen merino tops for the same reason, they have a poly layer on the inside. My oldest merino base layer is a hh merino and it still looks pretty new, the poly layer is bonded or woven into the merino and it seems to make it a lot tougher and keep it's shape. I can't comment on the itchyness because I generally don't find merino wool that itchy.

99ster 05 Mar 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

> Arc'teryx Satoro. Everything else feels like garbage now but this still makes me happy just putting it on.

Yep - this is fabulous kit.

Jon Greengrass 05 Mar 2019
In reply to benscoble:

why not icebreaker?

geordiepie 05 Mar 2019
In reply to benscoble:

I've got a Peak Performance merino blend base layer which has been excellent. Not cheap but it's lasted a good few years now....they have a sale on at the minute.

I've also got a Montane Primino base layer which is merino and primaloft. Not as good as the peak performance but I find it more comfortable than 100% merino.

galpinos 05 Mar 2019
In reply to benscoble:

I'm with you. I tried to buy into the merino revolution but it seems inferior in performance to synthetics in every way bar smell.

I have two patagucci merino (blend probably) t shirts that are super comfy but apart from that, meh.

cb294 05 Mar 2019
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

Icebreaker are a rip off and not particularly robust (my last IB long johns lasted less than one season), same as all the other "technical" outdoor brands. I buy my stuff now from a Danish underwear company called Dilling, much cheaper and the same quality as Icebreaker, even though they have only a small selection of sports base layers.

CB

nufkin 06 Mar 2019
In reply to cb294:

>  Icebreaker are a rip off and not particularly robust (my last IB long johns lasted less than one season)

Merino longjohns do seem to suffer particularly - I've had several pairs go through at the crotch. Not sure if it's due to high friction or stepping up when climbing or what, but the most robust I've tried so far are a pair of Patagonia merino/synthetic combo (which of course they don't seem to make any more)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...