Mr Andrew Preview

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The New NickB 28 Feb 2019

Andre Previn has died, he was 89.

Principal conductor and musical director for some of the world's great orchestras, Jazz great and winner of four Oscars.

Best remembered by me as the butt of Eric Morecambe's jokes in the famous sketch and being every bit as good at it as they were.

wercat 28 Feb 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

I always remember a Joke told by Anne Nightingale on the radio back in the 80s:

What do you call Andre Previn Vacuuming at night? Orchestral man hoovers in the dark...

girlymonkey 28 Feb 2019
In reply to wercat:

I hadn't heard that joke before, thanks. I liked it

Shamefully I'd not heard of him, given his body of work.

RiP

Duncan Bourne 01 Mar 2019

89 Good Lord. I remember him as a young man when I was growing up. Always like Andre Previn

Hat Dude 01 Mar 2019

Famous as a conductor, arranger and composer but achieved immortality with Morecambe and Wise!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-47409017/andr-previn-in-fa...

keith sanders 01 Mar 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

Spot on.

Keith s

Post edited at 09:36
 Doug 01 Mar 2019
In reply to Hat Dude:

for the full 12 minutes, youtube.com/watch?v=R7GeKLE0x3s&

OP The New NickB 01 Mar 2019

Married a film star as well. I had forgotten that he was married to Mia Farrow for 9 years (after Sinatra, before Woody Allen).

neilh 01 Mar 2019
In reply to Doug:

M & W fans reckon that that is one of their top sketches. You can see the whole orchestra laughing and AP playing it perfectly. Apparently there was very little rehearsing..

Simon Caldwell 01 Mar 2019

Of course as you know, he was a lot more than just a straight man for Morecambe and Wise...

youtube.com/watch?v=fNBy1fxdZjE&

Duncan Bourne 01 Mar 2019

He was married to Dory Langdon before he began his affair with Mia Farrow. She worked with him as a lyricist in the early 60's together they wrote songs for many artists at the time including Sammy Davies jr and Matt Munro. She later recorded some of my favourite quirky albums under the name of Dory Previn.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...