PRODUCT NEWS: Odin: Jöttnar Introduces the Ultimate in Hardshell Jacket Performance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 20 Feb 2019
New for 2019 is Jöttnar's Odin, its most fully featured technical hardshell jacket. Built from Jöttnar's proprietary new SKJOLDR™ waterproof breathable fabric, the Odin is designed as a winter fortress for the most atrocious conditions.

Read more
 Jon Read 20 Feb 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Am I right in thinking this lovely jacket doesn't even have a two-way front zip? 

TobyA 20 Feb 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

I've just checked the official UKC review Odin, which is hung on my coat rack, and it doesn't. But from your "doesn't even..." I take you think that's a massive failing? I had to check because I wouldn't expect there to be a double zip on a shell jacket. I can't think of any time when I've wanted one, or really any reason why you would? Considering jackets with two-way front zips can have an annoying tendency to start opening from the bottom - why would you want one?

Jon Read 20 Feb 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I find them useful for belaying (when you have it over your harness, rather than tucked in), sitting down comfortably, and having a wee. Maybe the cut on modern jacket is so short that it matters less, but I'm probably old fashioned and prefer a shell jacket to attempt to cover some of my rear-end.

TobyA 20 Feb 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

That crossed my mind for what you might have been thinking, but to be honest I don't see why anyone would buy a 600 quid top of the range shell jacket to wear while belaying at Curbar or Ramshaw. And I have a sneaky, probably class-based chip-on-the-shoulder, sort of idea that people who spend 500-600 quid on a shell for winter climbing and skiing would have other coats to take along to the crag with them that might be better suited for a winter day on the grit.

FWIW, the Odin is relatively long, but when I'm wearing it under my harness winter climbing it does not get in the way at all if I need to pee. Actually, to my mind a far more annoying oversight (? or possibly bad design choice) is the matching Vanir LT trousers do no have a double fly zip. This leads to some slightly obscene looking fumbling in the crotch area when trying to unzip them to have a pee!

Jon Read 20 Feb 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> That crossed my mind for what you might have been thinking, but to be honest I don't see why anyone would buy a 600 quid top of the range shell jacket to wear while belaying at Curbar or Ramshaw.

Quite! However, I suspect the top of the range products influence the design and look of more affordable products, and I find two-way zips are in short supply in nearly all modern shell jackets. A pet peeve, I guess.

TobyA 20 Feb 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

> I find two-way zips are in short supply in nearly all modern shell jackets. A pet peeve, I guess.

Fair enough - can't think of any hardshells that have a two way zip, I guess all the ones with climbers in mind are designed to be inside a harness? I have a Haglofs softshell that does have a two way zip and that's partly responsible for deep seated suspicion of them - its probably my fault for having a fat bum but if I pull it down the zip always starts to open at the base!

random_watcher 20 Feb 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> Fair enough - can't think of any hardshells that have a two way zip,

Most of the Mountain Equipment and Rab hardshells have two way front zips, some Montane ones. Seems to be more of the British brands rather than European. 

GarethSL 20 Feb 2019
In reply to random_watcher:

Indeed, the two-way-zip seems to be rooted in traditional British designs, along with pockets big enough for a map and compass or the 'must have' storm flap. 

All features that have largely disappeared from European, Scandinavian or North American brands.

TobyA 20 Feb 2019
In reply to random_watcher:

Thanks Charlie - that's very interesting to know and perhaps shows that I haven't ever owned or used a shell from Mountain Equipment, Rab or Montane!

Jon - sounds like actually you should be ok when you need to find a new shell with a two way zip after all!

Guy Hurst 20 Feb 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

When I read the headline I thought Jöttnar had started using Paramo fabric.

Jon Read 20 Feb 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Thanks. I'm looking forward to my two-way future

In reply to TobyA:

I have a Sherpa Lapka Rita jaiket, one of those double zips. By far the worst zip I've ever had, difficult to zip in the street, never mind in a hoolie, totally useless considering its application. 

Never mind not having a 2 way zip to pee, wearing salopettes with a harness! That's just crap design, turning regular zip upside down would suffice.......

Disappointed

Stuart

angry pirate 20 Feb 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Both my ME shells, one hard and one soft have two way zips and I find the one on the hard shell really useful whereas the Vulcan zip is a bit irritating. The difference is the press stud or lack thereof respectively which prevents / causes the zip coming undone when it's all cinched in. 

I do wear both under a harness by and large but there are always occasions where they get lobbed on top. 

I'd take the lack of a two way zip and the accompanying press stud as a deal breaker for a shell tbh.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...