La Sportiva approach shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 maxsmith 13 Feb 2019

I've been a very happy Boulder X user for many years, but considering buying something lighter ahead of the summer.  I'm hoping to stick with Sportiva as the fit suits my feet. Can anyone give me any feedback on the TX2/3/4 or Hyper gtx? I definitely want a pretty stiff sole. Main use would be scrambling and easy climbing, thanks

David Barlow 13 Feb 2019
In reply to maxsmith:

I'm very happy with my TX4s. I suspect the other ones will not be stiff enough for you. The TX4 is fairly form-fitting so make sure it fits your feet. It does use round laces, so you have to tie a double-bow to stop them coming undone .

snoop6060 13 Feb 2019
In reply to maxsmith:

The tx2 are super comfy but are marginally stiffer than a pair of flip flops. Defo not what you want. 

kaiser 13 Feb 2019
In reply to maxsmith:

I have Sportiva feet too and have found that Arcteryx (sp) approach fit me well and are great on rock.

Worth a look perhaps

Wil Treasure 13 Feb 2019
In reply to maxsmith:

I've got the TX4s, best approach shoes I've owned. Still going after 3 years, really comfy, but supportive enough for packing 50kg loads at times.

OP maxsmith 14 Feb 2019
In reply to maxsmith:

thanks all, I'll get out and try on some tx4s

removed user 15 Feb 2019
In reply to maxsmith:

My TX4 boots fell to bits in less than a year - repeated lace snapping, metal lace hooks broke off, soles wore through. Not great.

danm 15 Feb 2019
In reply to removed user:

Are you sure you're talking about the same shoe as the OP? TX4's don't have metal lace hooks...

Review by Andy K here: https://andy-kirkpatrick.com/blog/view/sportiva-tx4

removed user 15 Feb 2019
In reply to danm:

> Are you sure you're talking about the same shoe as the OP? TX4's don't have metal lace hooks...

Not the shoes, the boots version. 

Roland.Online 15 Feb 2019
In reply to maxsmith:

Love my TX4s.  Got them 18 months ago, just before a winter trip to New Zealand, so did, rain, snow, mud, ice, all no problems.

Super grippy, super comfy.  Did try TX2s but these were laughably uncomfortable, like wearing chipboard.

Would happily by another pair - as it stands they're still in very good nick, given two winters and a summer of wear.

Cheers

Climber climb 15 Feb 2019
In reply to maxsmith:

I’ve got both the Boulder x and tx4’s. I prefer the boulders as they feel stiffer to me so more confidence inspiring on scrambles etc

In reply to maxsmith:

My TX4s were comfortable from the moment I bought them. I wore them for one day before setting off for the TMB. Had no problems. After 18 months almost continuous use, the soles have worn through, but the uppers and laces are still going; no holes in the uppers at the usual flex points. I even considered resoling, but got a second pair on sale late last year.

Take Nikwax suede proofer very well, and still smell reasonable.

The sole is a pretty grippy rubber, but a very shallow tread. I haven't given the 'climbing zone' toe section much use...

Post edited at 15:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...