Summit pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JStearn 09 Feb 2019

Hi,

I'm looking for a summit pack for cragging and short Alpine routes, ideally one which folds small enough to fit in a big pack for hauling up to a high camp. Preferably 2 axe loops and a rope strap.

Some options I'm considering: 

• Blue Ice Dragonfly 18
  • Exped Summit Lite 25

Any other recommendations to consider?

Thanks,

James 

neuromancer 09 Feb 2019
In reply to JStearn:

Decathlon cliff 20.

It's a tenner!

angry pirate 09 Feb 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

Last time there was a similar thread, there was a chorus of approval for the Cliff 20. 

I bought one and use it almost daily. It's perfect for chucking stickies in for indoor climbing, is ideal for multi pitch climbing and has some great little features. Rolls up pretty small and even fits into its side pocket.

The top rope strap is effective and you can lash ice tools to the front daisy chains, though there are no ice tool attachments per se.

I'll buy another when I eventually kill it.

neuromancer 09 Feb 2019
In reply to angry pirate:

FWIW there is an ice tool attachment point.

There just isn't two.

That said, if you're doing a route serious enough to require two technical ice tools, you probably need a tad more than a cheap "sack with straps" pack and a 400-700g 25-30l alpine pack is more suitable e.g. a Cierzo 28.

neuromancer 09 Feb 2019
In reply to JStearn:

Cancel

I have just discovered this:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/sprint-33l-backpack-blue-id_8495162.html

£50 for a black diamond blitz 28 copy?

Nathan Adam 09 Feb 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

Saw that the other day and was impressed by it. Have had a Blitz 28 for over a year now and used it all last winter and as my main summer bag and have been impressed with it. It's a bit holey in places but I've taped it up and still going well. I love the Blitz as a simple bag and it rolls up to be tiny when empty so can easily be shoved into another bag to leave the leader free, although I wish it was just a little bigger so i could put the rope inside in the winter time.

Banana Fingers have got the Blitz on at £65 as well. 

https://www.bananafingers.co.uk/rucksacks/black-diamond/blitz-28

Post edited at 11:13
 angry pirate 09 Feb 2019
In reply to neuromancer:

Yep, you're right. I've just had a nose at mine.

That Simond pack you linked to looks the business!

In reply to neuromancer:

Jesus, I had only said recently, if Decathlon only made a 30L Cliff bag (I have a Cliff 20), this would be awesome! I have just bought an Ascensionist 30 and used it several times......

I can see these bags being popular..... 

Stuart

neuromancer 11 Feb 2019
In reply to Stuart the postie:

I'm sitting on an unused Berghaus Alpine 30, had a patagonia ascensionist 30 and a blitz 28 in the cart and saw this.

I don't need all this shit....

In reply to Nathan Adam:

Hi

How robust is the Blitz? A few reviews mention a problem with the drawcord attachment stitching coming unstitched when cinching the bag closed. Have you had any problems with yours?

It looks a great summit bag!

Post edited at 22:11
 Nathan Adam 11 Feb 2019
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

Can't say the drawcord has ever caused any issues and works as intended whenever I need it to. Only durability concern I've had is for the material itself but it is my main bag for winter so gets a bit of abuse and I can live with a few holes in it here and there. As a summit bag it can be folded down to about the size of a rolled up newspaper with the foam back support in it and even smaller without it but I find it's much more comfortable with and not much of a weight penalty. 

I'll buy another one when my current one gives up, if they're still making them.

In reply to Nathan Adam:

Nathan, thanks for that, it persuaded me to buy one! All the best.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...