NEWS: Andy Nisbet and Steve Perry killed on Ben Hope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 07 Feb 2019

Prolific Scottish winter climbers Andy Nisbet (65) and Steve Perry (47) have died in an accident on Ben Hope in Sutherland. It is believed that the pair had completed a route and fell while moving together on the upper slopes of the hill.

Read more

Greenbanks 07 Feb 2019
In reply to Doug:

Apalling. So sad for the whole mountain community, to which both men have given so much. Even more, for their families, whose loss will be unimaginable. RIP

drsdave 07 Feb 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Very very sad news to both climbers. Never had the pleasure of meeting Andy Nisbet but thanks to him he was instrumental in getting me off a motoring ban, and that may sound strange to say but Andys sharp eyes informed me of someone willing to assist me in challenging a poor motoring conviction.

RIP Mr Nisbet and Mr Perry.

JohnBson 07 Feb 2019

Sad to hear we are without such a driving force for new routes, condolences to the families of Andy and Steve.

Timmd 07 Feb 2019

Andy Nisbet reminded me of Paul Nunn, in almost being one of those people one thinks of as being too experienced and hill-wise for an accident to happen to, and both were warm and kind human beings.

Condolences to the families of Andy and Steve too. 

Post edited at 18:09
 paul mitchell 07 Feb 2019

youtube.com/watch?v=KvY-mc_1_uI&

Interview with Andy Nisbet.

mike barnard 07 Feb 2019

Andy was one of the people I looked up to and admired most in the climbing world. Always friendly, approachable and encouraging. Steve was just a great guy and so enthusiastic about everything climbing. I didn't see him often, but sad that we'll never be able to spend a weekend away climbing again, or chat about what we've been up to. My heart goes out to their close friends and families.

Robert Durran 07 Feb 2019
In reply to Timmd:

> Andy Nisbet reminded me of Paul Nunn, in almost being one of those people one thinks of as being too experienced and hill-wise for an accident to happen to.

That mirrors my own almost disbelief on hearing this appalling news. But then when you think about the statistics (1000 new routes is phenomenal - that's finding the conditions to climb them the equivalent of every day for three years and then 1000's of other days in the hills) and all it takes is one slip or bit of bad luck and, over a life time living so wonderfully to the full in the mountains, the odds do sadly stack up. A huge loss to Scottish climbing.

Post edited at 20:14
 Drexciyan 07 Feb 2019

Hard to know what, if anything to say. I didn't know Steve but had the fortune to meet Andy and we exchanged countless emails, such was his limitless enthusiasm for all kinds of info about routes, new and old. His colossal contribution to climbing in Scotland is without question, but what struck me most about him was his generous nature with his hard won knowledge and experience. This was not someone who judged others on achievements or status, but a shared love. It feels like the end of a chapter in Scottish climbing history, but what a life lived - RIP both.

John Cuthbert 08 Feb 2019

RIP Andy, gaisgeach de na beanntan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...