REVIEW: Exposure Headtorches

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 29 Jan 2019
Exposure lights thumbnailMade in the UK, these units are small, rugged and very powerful. But is this the perfect mountain torch? Dan Bailey has reservations

Read more
 Luke90 29 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

> I'm not sure how, technically, its IPX5 rating differs from the HT500's IP65, but either way this thing is easily water resistant enough for use in heavy rain.

The first number tells you how good it is at resisting ingress of solids and dust, the second is water protection.

So the IP65 rating of the HT500 tells you that it shouldn't be harmed by dust or being gently sprayed with water. The IPX5 rating of the HT1000 tells you that it should have the same resistance to water but hasn't been given any certification about dust.

Higher numbers generally indicate protection against more severe conditions. There's only one higher level of dust protection but quite a few more options for waterproofing.

It's kinda weird that they wouldn't just get the same certification for both of them. Makes you wonder whether the HT1000 was expected to fail the dust test for some reason. Though on their website spec sheets they describe both ratings as "water resistance" so perhaps they only tested the water resistance and whoever wrote the copy misunderstood the system.

Oh yeah, elsewhere on their website there's a comparison table for a variety of their torches which shows all of them, including the HT500, with an X for dust protection. So the difference is probably just an error on the spec sheet and they haven't bothered certifying any of them for dust ingress. Which seems logical.

Michael Hood 29 Jan 2019

I think some people in the Spine race were using these, so they must be doing something right.

phizz4 29 Jan 2019

Try the Fenix HL55. 

Four modes of output plus a "Burst" mode

High:  420 Lumens (3 hours 45 min.)

Mid:  165 Lumens (10 hours)

Low:  55 Lumens (30 hours)

Eco:  10 Lumens (150 hours)

BURST:  900 Lumens

Battery on front so no wires, replaceable 18650 cell, widely available, or you can use 2 CR123A batteries, up to 3,400 mAh, waterproof (widely used by cavers) aluminium body, mineral glass lens, less than £50 (battery and charger extra if you don't already have them). There's also a version that you can charge via a USB port. Brilliant headtorch. (And no, I don't work for them)!

Ridge 29 Jan 2019
In reply to phizz4:

> Try the Fenix HL55. 

I have a Fenix PD35 which is a small handtorch running the same 3,400mAh 18650 battery. A very tough little lump of aluminium with very good battery life, if the HL55 is as good it'll be a good bit of kit. (Wouldn't bother with 2 x CR123A batteries, they drain far too quickly).

Sounds like they need to look at the temp/weather issue affecting the more powerful light. I don't think I would risk one at this stage! However they are a great brand, and I have one of the bike lights (joystick) and it is brilliant in design and function.

sn 31 Jan 2019
In reply to phizz4:

I have a Fenix, mainly for caving, but it also doubles as a very good general headtorch, with the advantage of fairly easily sourced and carried spare batteries. Exposure need to copy this!

sn 31 Jan 2019
In reply to Ridge:

I recently purchased a Fenix handtorch for lighting up big caverns and mines. It's top output is something like 3800 lumens. Chunky bit of kit, but seems brighter than my car headlights!

d_b 08 Feb 2019

Just to be pedantic:

"Burn time and lumen output are directly proportional" Exposure explain. "If you double the burn time, you halve the lumen output."

That would be "inversely proportional".  It would be directly proportional if the burn time doubled when you doubled the brightness.

In reply to d_b:

Well spotted. Me and maths have a shaky relationship

Snowdave 08 Feb 2019

I don't like wires & separate battery compartments......should only on big battery packs, not small ones like that.

I'll stick to my Petzl Pixa3,

IP 67,

-30C operating temp

80kg crush test

2m drop test

takes 2x AA of any type including lithium & rechargeable

lock for switch in off position

easy to use with a gloved hand

3 modes from 20lm to 100lm (26hrs to 3.5hrs)

Its just about indestructible..

d_b 08 Feb 2019
In reply to Snowdave:

And it's rated to work in explosive atmospheres, so I can take it into the tent after cooking beanfeast.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...