Recommendation for tea-shop in Carlisle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshire_lad2 26 Jan 2019

I'm not very familiar with Carlisle.  I'm meeting someone (OK, so there's a romantic angle to this) in Carlisle next week late afternoon (4pm-ish), and I'd like to find a cosy tea shop for a couple of hours; preferably somewhere that doesn't close at 4pm as well.  They're coming in on the train, so preferably something close to the station (to save time and travel although I'll be driving); 10 mins walk from the station would be fine (this is someone who does Wainwrights, so walking in Carlisle is not a problem!).  There's the Hallmark Hotel right by the station, no idea what that's like, whether it's typical/chain-like/town-centre-ish/anonymous, or whether it's a good place; there's the newly refurbished bar in the station although that's a bit impersonal; the Cathedral crypt is good but it seems closed for renovation at the moment (https://www.carlislecathedral.org.uk/priors_kitchen).
Any thoughts/recommendations welcome.
TIA

coldfell 26 Jan 2019
In reply to yorkshire_lad2:

Most seem to close around 4 including Pennylins Wee Irish Café and Foxes Café Lounge, but Coffee Genius is open until 5 - all good bets. It is a shame you can't meet at the station café at Langwathby - Close Encounter! Good luck.

Rick Graham 26 Jan 2019

As a south lakes team member the words recommendation and Carlisle do not fit easily into the same sentence.

I am sure there is a nearby weatherspoons or McDonalds , no point getting a potential  future partner into bad habits. 

The missus refuses to use macs nowadays but gets taken to weatherspoons as a special treat.

Lemony 26 Jan 2019

Coffee Genius and Foxes are my usual choices when I’m back home neither are more than 10-15 mins from the station.

Tell your romantic interest to bring climbing shoes, then a nice cuppa and a couple of hours bouldering at Eden Rock will confirm whether there’s any future in a potential relationship

cander 26 Jan 2019

Go to Waterstones on Scotch street, there’s a Costa upstairs and if she’s as dull as ditchwater you can grab a book and have a read. Alternatively if she’s a cracker there’s an Ibis on Botchergate that’ll do you a room for an hour (or 3 minutes if you’re from south lakes) 

Guy Hurst 26 Jan 2019

The John Watt and Son coffee shop on Bank Street is pretty good. The coffee is certainly very decent, as it should be given that John Watt and Son is a coffee roasting business. I think it closes at 5pm. Quite close by is a Greek restaurant called Alexandros, on Warwick Road, which would be good for a light meal.

Rick Graham 26 Jan 2019
In reply to cander:

> Go to Waterstones on Scotch street, there’s a Costa upstairs and if she’s as dull as ditchwater you can grab a book and have a read. Alternatively if she’s a cracker there’s an Ibis on Botchergate that’ll do you a room for an hour (or 3 minutes if you’re from south lakes) 

Just ask if you can use the toilets

Tony Jones 26 Jan 2019
In reply to Guy Hurst:

Yeah, I would recommend John Watt and Son too. It's quite a traditional coffee shop but, as Guy says, the coffee is pretty good. Certainly a  much better bet than one of the chains.

toad 26 Jan 2019

Am I the only one thinking " the finest wines know to humanity....and Cake!!"?

Yeah. I know. Penrith, and not even filmwd there, but still.....

wercat 27 Jan 2019
In reply to toad:

> Am I the only one thinking " the finest wines know to humanity....and Cake!!"?

Hurrah!

Thanks for all the useful info.  Due to the timing of (4.30-6.30), none of the coffee/tea shops were ideal, so it ended up being the Hallmark next to the station, which was a convenient point for arriving and departing by train, but that would be its only plus point.  Maybe it was the time of day, but the service was slow, and the bar was "quiet".

Removed User 30 Jan 2019

Turn right on the station and you have the whole majesty of Botchergate to go at...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...