Cooking Haggis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 25 Jan 2019

My haggis says I can boil it, oven bake it or microwave it. Somehow microwaving it seems wrong but very quick and easy.

What method do experienced haggis chefs favour and why?

girlymonkey 25 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

We always microwaved it. It tastes the same as boiling

Sealwife 25 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Microwave - much quicker than messing around with foil and pans of boiling water or heating up your oven for ages.

nathan79 25 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Microwave generally. Happy to see previous supplies suggest this one.

Haggis comes out as moist as if boiled. Only negative is you lose out on that satisfaction of cutting the skin and getting piping hot haggis oozing out.

MonkeyPuzzle 25 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Chippy in Inveraray does haggis pakora in a spiced batter. It's amazing.

Tom Valentine 25 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Sliced, grilled, between two slabs of a fresh white loaf. Mustard if you like.

Doug 25 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Many years ago I used to boil them, since I acquired a microwave I've used that - tastes the same but much less hassle.

Dr.S at work 25 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Roast him in the oven. May take longer but you could do some parsnips at the same time....

Baron Weasel 25 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Fry slowly in lot's of butter

OP TobyA 25 Jan 2019
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I'm making neeps and tatties tonight following some recipe off the internet, but for some reason you don't eat them until the next day. So I don't think I'll need to do parsnips as well!

Dr.S at work 25 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Add in some Onion Skirlie for extra brown.

Removed User 25 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I'm afraid that sounds like bollocks to me.

Haggis, tatties and neeps is a workers meal. Haggis is a very old type of sausage made from the inside bits of a sheep oatmeal and a few spices, a food that came from the fields that the subsistence farmers of Scotland worked.

It is traditional to eat haggis on the 25th January to commemorate an Ayrshire farmer and poet. The dish is typical of what he and his neighbours would have eaten after a day out labouring on their land and no doubt would on occasion have washed it down with a dram or three.

Why not keep it simple? Remember Burns by eating the food that he ate, simple, nourishing and wholesome. Adding sauces and little garnishes is like doing a hip hop version of Ay Fond Kiss.

OP TobyA 25 Jan 2019
In reply to Removed User:

The ingredients are potatoes and swede, and some butter. It doesn't even say salt and pepper, so I hope that's simple enough!

bouldery bits 25 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Fire it out of a cannon. 

Removed User 25 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Simple enough .

Should really be turnip (neeps) though.

I like plenty of black pepper on the keeps, it takes the edge off the sweetness.

Oceanrower 25 Jan 2019

> Should really be turnip (neeps) though.

You sure about that?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/jan/25/neeps-swed...

Removed User 25 Jan 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

Yup.

I'm Scottish, I grew up in Ayr and I'm a descendent of Rabbie's brother, Gilbert.

OP TobyA 26 Jan 2019

When I lived in Finland, this for some reason used to come up from time to time with my American friend, probably because at some point she was talking about rutabaga and I had no idea what she was going on about (at first I mixed it up with a Winnebago which is something entirely different!). This turned out to be swede, but when I asked Diane what they call turnip she got very confused and muttered something about animal food. In the end we just decided that vegetables and salads were best referred to in Finnish to prevent Anglo-American confusion, so neeps is clearly "lanttu". I'm sure that will help everyone!

Philip 26 Jan 2019

> Simple enough .

> Should really be turnip (neeps) though.

> I like plenty of black pepper on the keeps, it takes the edge off the sweetness.

Neeps are swede, turnips are turnip. The confusion is taking the Scottish 'neep' and applying it to the English turnip.

Dr.S at work 26 Jan 2019
In reply to Philip:

Abney and Teal have a lot to answer for.

Neep!

Offwidth 26 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I microwaved some veggie haggis only this week. It cooked well, tasted like standard haggis but I'm not recommending it as a delightful meal. Haggis is dull but it is filling.

Post edited at 13:18
 RomTheBear 26 Jan 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

> I microwaved some veggie haggis only this week. It cooked well, tasted like standard haggis but I'm not recommending it as a delightful meal. Haggis is dull but it is filling.

Mix it with tortellinis. Or put it on pizzas.

A carb/fat combo that will make the needle on your diabeto-meter jump, but totally worth it.

overdrawnboy 26 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Boil it, let it cool, open kitchen window, hurl it as far as you can. Close window.

OP TobyA 26 Jan 2019
In reply to overdrawnboy:

Lolz. Not a fan perchance?

In reply to Eric9points:

The Finnish components of my family decided, despite their initial scepticism, that they rather liked haggis, neaps and tatties tonight. I pointed out that it was, as you had earlier described it, boring northern peasant food so much like most Finnish "cuisine".

In reply to Baron Weasel:

Dislike for the grammatical error !

StockportAl 27 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Microwave.

My brother-in-law makes haggis, of the Venison variety, and he also microwaves it. Other methods take too long and the result is no different.

Only variations, haggis lasagne (50:50 with beef mince is good) and haggis pizza.

Post edited at 01:20
 graeme jackson 27 Jan 2019
In reply to Philip:

> Neeps are swede, turnips are turnip. The confusion is taking the Scottish 'neep' and applying it to the English turnip.

In the North East of England, Turnips were always big and orange/yellow and we carved turnip lanterns out of them for hallween.  I'd never seen one of those poncy little white things till I moved to Hertfordshire in 1984.

Trangia 27 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Lots of info on how to cook hagis on here but no info on how best to catch it ?

Tom Valentine 27 Jan 2019
In reply to graeme jackson:

You made your turnip lanterns out of swedes, then.

Most of my friends here in South Yorkshire refer to swedes as turnips, unless they happen to be gardeners.

Post edited at 08:49
 Philip 27 Jan 2019
In reply to graeme jackson:

Yes you are quite correct, the distinction is somewhat south of the border.

I have a vague recollection that the white turnip was introduced only as pig feed, and therefore only eaten by the truly poor in the middle ages.

Of course now, baby white turnip, flash roasted are de rigeur at a ** restaurant.

bouldery bits 27 Jan 2019
In reply to Ade in Sheffield:

> Dislike for the grammatical error !

You left a space between your last word and exclamation mark! Tut. Tut. Tut.

subtle 27 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Oh, I cooked mine last night in the oven but it must have been off as I feel a tad under par today (must have been the haggis, not the quantity of beer and whisky I consumed)

oh dear

Timmd 27 Jan 2019
In reply to Offwidth:

> I microwaved some veggie haggis only this week. It cooked well, tasted like standard haggis but I'm not recommending it as a delightful meal. Haggis is dull but it is filling.

It strikes me that sausages and haggis might be similar in nature/origin, in being a means of eating protein from animals in a more palatable way than when they're in their more natural form.     

Post edited at 18:32
 wildebeeste 28 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Haggis and cheese toastie. Fry it first. Also good with black pudding.

oldie 28 Jan 2019
In reply to Trangia:

> Lots of info on how to cook hagis on here but no info on how best to catch it ? <

Aleister Crowley, a mountaineer and the "Wickedest Man in the World", apparently took a visiting Italian out on a haggis hunt, during which they shot an unfortunate sheep.

nufkin 28 Jan 2019
In reply to Trangia:

>  Lots of info on how to cook hagis on here but no info on how best to catch it ?

Someone mentioned turnip lanterns further up - a traditional lure, perhaps?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...