Merino boxer shorts recommendations anyone

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mattia 24 Jan 2019

As the title suggests, I'd appreciate recommendations for merino underwear to be used mostly in winter. I'm aware people have different preference but a starting point for somesresearch would be useful.

Thanks

Dark-Cloud 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Mattia:

I can’t think of anything worse, a wet soggy pair of wollen undercackers, ugh, never understood the fascination with the stuff.

Not very helpful, sorry

J101 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Mattia:

Not found anything worth the money since Chocolate Fish stopped doing merino sadly, to the point I just buy bamboo based baselayers nowadays.

abcdef 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Mattia:

I have pure merino (Icebreaker or Smartwool - can't remember) and they are great, but next ones I buy will definitely have a bit of lycra so they hold their shape/fit a bit better.

Rick Graham 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I don't get on with any wool nowadays, but I think everybody reacts differently to thermals or wicking materials .

My patagucci capilene shreddies have been reserved for special days out for almost thirty years. Still in perfect order, even the elastic .

Post edited at 20:23
 Denzil 24 Jan 2019
In reply to J101:

Try EDZ based in the Lakes. Originally they were designed for motorcyclists, but some good stuff for walkers. I used to use Chocolate Fish but have switched to EDZ.

In reply to Mattia:

I like Aclima LightWool, Shorts, Man. They're tight fitting but have enough space the right place.

TobyA 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Mattia:

Pure merino wears out so quickly. I've chucked out pure merino pairs from Icebreaker and other makes I don't remember, you just end up with big holes in them around the crotch from wear. More recently I chucked out some Rab MeCo ones - they lasted much better but still wore out, despite being only 50% merino. I've bought all of my pairs on sale or got them as freebies, but I don't think I'd buy anymore.

I use the basic synthetic running boxers from Decathlon mainly now. They weigh less, dry quicker and cost a tenth or more than merino ones. Merino is nice in terms of smell resistance but just wears too quickly for my usage level to be worth the money.

OP Mattia 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Mattia:

Thanks for the tips, folks. The suggestion regarding merino/lycra is a good one and make sense.

I always wear a merino baselayer top from decathlon unless it's boiling hot. I love it and in winter I generally wear merino next to skin from socks to hat. When wearing normal (cotton) underwear I find it just gets sweaty and uncomfortable, hence my hope that merino would be the ultimate solution. 

TobyA, as always you answer my kit questions adequately. Cheers for that.

PaulJepson 24 Jan 2019
In reply to Mattia:

The only merino bottoms I've used actively were a couple of pairs of Bergans (of Norway) and (as others have said) they were full of crotch-holes very quickly.

I use merino long-johns (Crane) and merino tops (Smart Wool) to sleep in and love them but it just doesn't stand up to active wear.

On the other hand, I have used Patagonia Capilene for tops and boxers over thousands of miles and they stand up very well. 

In terms of warmth I didn't notice much difference. I use Capilene for active and Merino for sleeping because wool feels super comfy for low-output activity, where Capilene doesn't hold as much moisture (sweat or rain) and is robust. I also find merino a little bit itchy when sweating. The only downside with this system is that Capilene stinks where Merino doesn't smell with up to a week or more of wearing without washing. 

Solaris 25 Jan 2019
In reply to Mattia:

Cotton gets clammy, cold and takes ages to dry. Merino can take time to dry but is warmer when wet, and in the long term (ie, if you need to wear it for a couple of weeks or more) is a *lot* more comfortable. Wicking, non-absorbent elastic makes a difference, too. I've used MeCo, Odlo, and Icebreaker and found them fine.

Tigger 25 Jan 2019
In reply to Mattia:

I've just got a couple of pairs of bamboo BAM boxers one normal and one long leg pair, comfy, wiking but ride up a bit ( I hope this stops after a few washes). Id personally look at Under Armour and Saxx for boxers. I haven't heard many good things about pure merino tbh. 

On a side note, If anyone can reccomend a pair of boxers or boxer briefs that don't ride up I'd be very grateful.

Neston Climber 25 Jan 2019
In reply to Mattia:

I found my Alpkit Marino boxers very comphy and warm. They do t get clammy even after a long hot walk. During a long period of van life doing washing by hand they wash really easy and dry quickly. For a cheaper and more hardwaring alternative I also really like the underarmor synthetic ones, feel really nice, not 'static' like you'd think, super light, and easy to dry which is great for travelling. Recommended for hot climbing hols! 

jack89 25 Jan 2019
In reply to Mattia:

Very very happy with EDZ merino. Great fit, good price, UK, BMC discount.

HeMa 25 Jan 2019
In reply to Mattia:

I'm using Super.Natural (wool + syntetic blend) boxers, they have thus far lasted a year or two. 

I've also had full wool ones (ok, long johns but still) from name brands and like Toby, after a year or 3, they start to get holes in the crotch. But with long johns (when ya have some boxers under them), the holes are only a minor nuisance.

That said, the only proper reason to use wool (or wool blends) is when it is really cold (not the case in Scotland) or on multiday camping quests... For day trips, synthetics for next to skin are the way to go... thicker wool on top as insulation...

In reply to Mattia:

As someone who finds wool unbearably itchy, the idea of merino underwear is nightmarish. Go synthetic - as others have said, it'll last way better plus it feels nicer, holds its shape, and dries faster. 

HeMa 25 Jan 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

’Cept on the morning number three in a small tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...