Shops that offer ice screw sharpening?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Moles 24 Jan 2019

I know Needlesports does and Tiso used to, does anyone know if any of the shops in Fort William or Aviemore have a screw sharpening service? Thanks.

OP Andy Moles 29 Jan 2019

Silence on this one not looking hopeful but I'll give it a cheeky bump...

climber34neil 29 Jan 2019
In reply to Andy Moles:

Don't know if they do , but petzl make a screw sharpening tool which some shops stock so could look at that as an alternative? 

Billhook 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Andy Moles:

Go and get a small file.  Triangular one would be nice.  use that.  

Its not that skilled.   Forward - backwards - forward - backwards etc., 

Rigid Raider 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Andy Moles:

Angle grinder? 

Takein 30 Jan 2019
In reply to Billhook:

Actually it's forwards, forwards, forwards. A hand file should only be used in one direction!

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/how-to/a18522/how-to-use-a-file...

Misha 31 Jan 2019
In reply to Andy Moles:

The Petzl sharpener is very effective.

Billhook 31 Jan 2019
In reply to Takein:

You are of course correct.  I was simply describing the general arm movements.  I have  3 chainsaws -   I'm a hedgelayer.

Sharpening an ice screw is not difficult. And that was my point.

In reply to Billhook:

> You are of course correct.  I was simply describing the general arm movements.  I have  3 chainsaws -   I'm a hedgelayer.

> Sharpening an ice screw is not difficult. And that was my point.

Wow. You sharpen Ice screws with a chainsaw!

In reply to Billhook:

That's a good comparison. You can get sharpening tools for both ice screws and chainsaws, and there are many other good examples of sharpening tools. You can even get skilled people (grinders) to do the sharpening for you if you want to pay their price. My own experience with sharpening a chainsaw did not pan out well as it didn't saw straight after my poor work. My first solution was to buy a new chain, the next and more economical was to buy a sharpening tool. Now I'm in the market for an ice screw sharpener as I don't want to experiment with something that mustn't fail when I need it the most.

Post edited at 10:34
 Billhook 31 Jan 2019
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

Its quite difficult to get the hang of sharpening a chainsaw - and my experience when i started was much the same as yours.  1st you need a file that fits exactly, then you need to use the correct lateral angle and the correct horizontal level.

But an ice screw?  just the one angle for mine.

PTG 06 Feb 2019
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

Petzl sharpener is good for fixing minor burrs and flats when on a trip, but the filing angle are to aggressive for repeated use, since only the tip of the tooth are filed down.  

To reestablish sharpness and angels of a tooth, the cheapest and fastest way is by using hand files.

I've used the below procedure, files and methods for years, which work well: 

youtube.com/watch?v=L-CQbOM35oY&

Post edited at 15:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...