PHOTOGRAPHY: 2018 Marmot Photography Awards

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
2018 Marmot Photography AwardsUKClimbing and UKHillwalking are proud to announce the shortlist for this year's Marmot Photography Awards, plus a major update to our highly prized Photo of the Week.

Read more
 Jonathan Bean 21 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Link to the competitions category page isn't working in the article. Just going to a 'Category not found' page. This is the URL https://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/?category=5

J

steve taylor 21 Jan 2019

There's a couple of shots that won;t allow me to click through and vote - the Sport Climbing ones of Ron and Gwen in particular.

In reply to Jonathan Bean and steve taylor:

Apologies, that should now be sorted. I omitted to adjust the somewhat critical status from 'Hidden' to 'Public'. It's things like this that make me realise I should stick to selling advertising...

Post edited at 10:06
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Jan 2019

A stunning set of images - great work,

Chris

SuperLee1985 21 Jan 2019
 James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 21 Jan 2019
In reply to SuperLee1985:

Thanks SuperLee. I'm really glad you like it, it's one of my favourites from a magical trip. I think Rob might have culled a few of my images in the Expedition and Alpine category to remain non biased

A stunning set of images from everyone. The 2018 selection wouldn't look out of place on any of the top photography websites, really inspiring stuff.  

Derek Ryden 21 Jan 2019

Can't work out how to vote. What am I missing??

Southvillain 21 Jan 2019

Delighted to see that photo of Ron Fawcett! Thought he'd stopped climbing aeons ago? Looking as `Ron' as ever, if slightly greyer. Lovely.

In reply to Derek Ryden:

I'm presuming you've followed the instructions? Judging from the number of votes cast it certainly seems to be working, so maybe have another go and if that doesn't work get in touch via the contact form.

In reply to Southvillain:

Ron is a regular at The Climbing Works in Sheffield. Still smiling, still good, and still as much a legend as he's ever been

Jon Read 21 Jan 2019
In reply to Derek Ryden:

It's a two stage process, Derek. Click on a picture to enlarge it, then click on the title above it. Then there should be a voting drop-down box on the right. Then, as per normal, two back clicks to get back. Faffy.

Is it just me or are you unable to vote on "Starting up the last pitch in full conditions" ?

James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 21 Jan 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

You can just also go straight to the gallery page Jon

https://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/?category=5 

Southvillain 21 Jan 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> Ron is a regular at The Climbing Works in Sheffield. Still smiling, still good, and still as much a legend as he's ever been

Thanks for that. Got the impression from his book that he'd stopped and was just orienteering/running. Highlight of my climbing life was being at Froggatt one weekday in the mid 80s', no-one around, I was mucking about trying starts/soloing (pre-bouldering...), and I see a bloke in the distance soloing one route, then downclimbing the next one along, then soloing the next etc etc, until he gets close enough for me to see its RF. He downclimbs the route next to me, I set back and say `be my guest', and he flows up the route I've been faffing about on and downclimbs the next along. When he gets to the bottom he turns to me as says (by way of `explanation' for the ease of his ascent) "Oh, I've done that one quite often", to which I could only laugh and say "That'll be it!", as if familiarity with the route was the only thing separating our efforts. And off he went. Pure class.

Deadeye 21 Jan 2019
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Last one in the winter category is unvoteable

TradDad 25 Jan 2019

Absolutely loved looking through the photo’s in this comp. I’ve not really looked at it in years but there’s some fantastic shots. Particularly good to see the steely eyes of Ron out in form. That shot of him on Cave route has to be one of my all time favourites. This is a really cool example of what’s good about ukc  

I find the idea of what defines a good or great photo an interesting one, in which the striving for perfection begins to compromise the results. 

Post edited at 10:49

Quick reminder that today is the last day of voting, so if you haven't cast yours do so now or...don't...

Thanks to everyone that's voted already and good luck to all the entrants!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...