NEWS: Jasmin Paris Wins Montane Spine Race 2019

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 16 Jan 2019

Jasmin Paris has won this year's Montane Spine Race in a record time of 83:12:23. She is the first woman to win it outright - and she's won it by a huge margin.

Read more

bouldery bits 16 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Record. Wowzers.

JoshOvki 16 Jan 2019

Absolutely awe-inspiring.

bouldery bits 16 Jan 2019
In reply to JoshOvki:

> Absolutely awe-inspiring.

Totally ridiculous. 

She's a very impressive athlete and competitor.

BALD EAGLE 16 Jan 2019

An amazing, super-human and phenomenal achievement! Maa-hoosive congratulations to Jasmin!

wolfbane 17 Jan 2019

Outstanding , I really hope she gets more recognition and nominated for Sports personality of the year 2019 , certainly gets my vote ,well  done Jasmin

kwoods 17 Jan 2019
In reply to wolfbane:

Stunning! Every bit of it.

pasbury 17 Jan 2019

Amazing - this should be all over the national news.

Elliot Walker 17 Jan 2019

Unbelievably inspiring. A truly incredible achievement.

hang_about 17 Jan 2019

That's absolutely incredible.

I like the comment

"I have also got a thesis to write when I finish"

Any student that moans at me over the next week or so is getting sent that quote.

Ian W 17 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury:

> Amazing - this should be all over the national news.

Its on the beeb website now. 

BALD EAGLE 17 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-46906365

Simon Caldwell 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Ian W:

> Its on the beeb website now. 

I'm sure Montane will be delighted to see inov-8 credited as "race sponsor"!

pasbury 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> I'm sure Montane will be delighted to see inov-8 credited as "race sponsor"!

I think inov-8 are her sponsors aren't they?

Simon Caldwell 17 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Yes, they're her sponsors, but Montane are the race sponsors.

Ian W 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> I'm sure Montane will be delighted to see inov-8 credited as "race sponsor"!

I'm sure they are all friends, and Inov-8 will be happy to set the record straight...........errrrrr......

Wingnut 17 Jan 2019

Fantastic achievement! Seriously impressive stuff. :

(Anyone else think the second photo in the Beeb article should be captioned, "Who are you, and what have you done with Mummy?")

subtle 17 Jan 2019

> Jasmin Paris has won this year's Montane Spine Race in a record time of 83:12:23. She is the first woman to win it outright - and she's won it by a huge margin.

Aye, ok, but what has she done on grit?

Clauso 17 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

> Aye, ok, but what has she done on grit?

She sprinted across the top of Laddow.

Offwidth 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Clauso:

Indeed, one of the rare few who beat the guidebook time for the Laddow approach.

In reply to Doug:

It was so easy she just had to add 18 miles

The New NickB 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Ian W:

> I'm sure they are all friends, and Inov-8 will be happy to set the record straight...........errrrrr......

Yes, reading the Inov-8 stuff over the last few days, they have insisted on calling it “The Spine” rather than the “The Montane Spine” so I’m sure them will be on the phone to correct the BBC.

The New NickB 17 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

> Aye, ok, but what has she done on grit?

I don’t know, but she grew up in Derbyshire and comes from a very outdoorsy family. She has only been running since University, but grew up mountain walking all over the world, I wouldn’t be surprised if she has done a bit on grit.

Post edited at 16:08
 Carless 17 Jan 2019

I have to admit to knowing very little about ultrarunning but

"A Midlothian mother who expressed milk for her baby during a 268-mile race along the Pennine Way has broken the course record by more than 12 hours."

Wow! Just fu**ing wow!

NickK123 17 Jan 2019

Absolutely outstanding - blown away by her performance.

Yanis Nayu 17 Jan 2019

Very I pressive. Shades of Beryl Burton. 

summo 18 Jan 2019

On r4 at 930 today. (Friday).

Martin Hore 18 Jan 2019

Fabulous achievement. There must be very few examples of a woman achieving a sporting first ahead of all men. This must rank with Lynn Hill's first free ascent of The Nose. Indeed are there any other examples?

Martin

The New NickB 18 Jan 2019
In reply to summo:

> On r4 at 930 today. (Friday).

10:30 UK time, should be on in a minute or two. I was wondering how they would shoe her in to Desert Island Discs!

Alyson 18 Jan 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

As Yanis Nayu mentioned above - Beryl Burton is one. She held the women's cycling 12-hour time trial record for two years, and her time was faster than the men's record.

Alyson 18 Jan 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

Also Ester Ledecka - the first person to win gold medals in both snowboarding and alpine skiing at the same Olympic Games. An astounding achievement.

timjones 18 Jan 2019
In reply to Dan Bailey - UKHillwalking.com:

That will be the last time that I ever correct the information in my own memory banks based on an article in The Guardian without checking the facts for myself

mountainbagger 18 Jan 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

> Fabulous achievement. There must be very few examples of a woman achieving a sporting first ahead of all men. This must rank with Lynn Hill's first free ascent of The Nose. Indeed are there any other examples?

> Martin

Pamela Reed, overall winner, Badwater ultra marathon 2002 and 2003.

In reply to Martin Hore:

Helene Diamantides won the first Dragon Back in 1992, although it was slightly different because it was a pairs event and she was at least matched by Martin Stone.

Jim Lancs 18 Jan 2019

If you still have Jasmin Paris' mobile number, it might be worth passing on this top tip from Johanna Konta, who incidentally, is a proper, professional athlete who appears on the telly and like. She said this after losing out in a 2hrs 44min epic.

"I don't agree with athletes having to physically exert themselves in the wee hours of the morning, I don't think it is healthy - in fact it is quite dangerous".

Post edited at 11:22
 Mal Grey 18 Jan 2019

Awesome achievement.

On R2 right now. 

In reply to pasbury:

It’s not done too bad coverage wise. It made the front page of the BBC website, she has been on BBC Breakfast, Jeremy Vine and Woman’s Hour. Sophie Raworth also tweeted that she did a short piece for last light 6 O’Clock News, however it appears to have lost out to the “Old Man Crashes Car” story.

slab_happy 19 Jan 2019
In reply to Martin Hore:

There was mention on either the Enormocast or the Runout podcast (can't remember which) that Carlo Traversi has been suggesting that Beth Rodden's route Meltdown might actually be 5.14d.

If that turns out to be correct, it'd make it the world's first 5.14d trad route (and still among the contenders for world's hardest trad route, I think).

At the moment, it has this somewhat peculiar status where the grade hasn't ever been confirmed because no-one else (apart from Traversi) has ever been able to do it, though some strong folk have tried it.

I know Ines Papert won overall at Ouray Ice Climbing Festival (beating all the other competitors of all genders) at least once.

Post edited at 07:45
 Mike-W-99 20 Jan 2019
In reply to The New NickB:

Made the front page on the Guardian, https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jan/20/jasmin-paris-feat-endurance-r...

Shame about some of the miserable keyboard warriors who decided to comment on it.

Post edited at 21:13

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...