2-3 day walk Scotland or Lakes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben_Climber 16 Jan 2019

I have 3/4 days off coming up.

Looking at doing a 2/3 day walk with possible bothy stay.

I've done the Corrour-Fort Will walk before which was great. Something similar would be good.

Ideas folks?

Robert Durran 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Blair Atholl to Coylumbridge (or to Glen Feshie) would be a comparable and fine undertaking.

subtle 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

Ferry to Arran Friday, stay in Brodick

Walk round coastal path to Blackwaterfoot, stay Sat night then walk rest of coastal path on Sunday, ferry back Sunday evening.

Ok, it doesn't have bothy stay but would be a good walk,

Ramblin dave 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Blair Atholl to Coylumbridge (or to Glen Feshie) would be a comparable and fine undertaking.

Yes, this is great. We went via the Tarf Hotel and the bothy in Feshie.

Corrour to Dalwhinnie is also pretty good, with a day in the middle to go up Ben Alder. Slightly longer but also fantastic is from Strathcarron or Achnashellach to Glen Shiel or Shiel Bridge via an awful lot of the middle of nowhere.

In reply to Ben_Climber:

Tomintoul to braemar, up glen Avon and out along glen derry. Overnight at faindouran bothy and Hutchison memorial hut. Would be as spectacular a walk as is available in these islands, and a logical traverse of the range, from north east to south, following the natural access ways along rivers. Getting from braemar back to tomintoul might be a challenge though

steelbru 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

A Cairngorm circuit, there are a couple of variations and can be done clockwise or anti-clockwise, but basically it's Lairig Ghru and Lairig an Laoigh.

For a 3 day walk you've got Corrour bothy and Fords of Avon refuge as your stops, or if you wanted to do it over 2 longer days then Bob Scott's is about halfway.

Can choose whether to go through Chalamain Gap, or a slightly longer version that includes going around Loch Morlich is up from ( or down to ) Piccadily. The longer circuit is 34 miles, guessing the shorter one is about 30 ??

The river crossing at Fords of Avon can be tricky if rivers are high, so be aware.

Think there's an article somewhere on UKC/UKH where one of the writers wrote up this walk - seem to recall they did a couple of Munros as well ( Carn a'Mhaim I think was one )

Post edited at 15:58
In reply to steelbru:

Here it is: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/destinations/the_big_routes_the_lair...

I did Carn a' Mhaim and Bynack More on that trip but they're easily omitted. Or you could add more 

Exile 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber: Bob Graham round over three days? Probably need to use a tent though.

Tringa 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

> I have 3/4 days off coming up.

> Looking at doing a 2/3 day walk with possible bothy stay.

> I've done the Corrour-Fort Will walk before which was great. Something similar would be good.

> Ideas folks?

When you said,"with possible bothy stay", do you mean that all of your overnight stays have to be in bothies? Or are you planning/happy to camp/drop into a B&B etc?

Dave

Jon Stewart 16 Jan 2019
In reply to Ben_Climber:

You could have a great few days in the Lakes staying in hostels in the valleys

e.g. Langdale to Wasdale via Bowfell and the Scafells;

Wasdale to Buttermere via Pillar and Gable;

Buttermere to Keswick via Grasmore, Crag Hill and Grisedale Pike.

The Lakes doesn't lend itself very well to logical objectives (other than the Bob Graham), but you can easily plan whatever length of day you like between valley bases, taking in as many or as few as the ridges as you please. Time very well spent, if you get the weather.

OP Ben_Climber 17 Jan 2019
In reply to Tringa:

I am happy to camp, however a bothy saves carrying a tent, better in bad weather and who doesn't love ticking off a bothy!

Some good ideas, I like the Blair Atholl to Aviemore idea, however need to keep an eye on the weather over the next week.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...