Dave Gregory RIP

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 13 Jan 2019

Another stalwart goes to the 'great ladder of jugs in the sky' as he always called it.

Dave Gregory (85 I believe) passed away yesterday after a short illness.

He climbed in the Peak, plus far and wide, from a teenager until he finally hung his boots up at aged 80 and was intimately involved with guidebook production for many, many years.

You will be sorely missed Mr G - rest easy,

Chris

Tony & Sarah 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Really sorry to hear this news. Great guy.

Tony & Sarah

P.S. This is not turning out to be a great week.

john arran 13 Jan 2019

Bugger. I know we all have a limited time on this earth but it's still sad when the good ones go.

RIP Dave.

Offwidth 13 Jan 2019

Really sad news. Lynn and I first met Dave in the mid 80's pretty much when we enthusiastically started scrambling. He invited us into his big dome tent (set up as a base-camp for local crag checking) for a cup of tea  I'm pretty sure I asked him something dumb like "are you a climber then?". It wasn't long before we realised exactly who he was and later on greatly appreciated his hugely extensive work when we got involved in Peak guidebooks. 

Condolences to those who knew him well.

Deadeye 13 Jan 2019

Thanks for all the guidebook work Dave.

carl dawson 13 Jan 2019

Sad news. Dave's encouragement and mentoring was much appreciated.

hdog76 13 Jan 2019

I was taught by Dave at Lady manners and had him as a form tutor, he was a great guy, always remember him getting his climbing kit ready so he could run out of school to go climbing with other teachers from the school. 

Bumped into him at Leeds wall just before he stopped climbing, still loving it..

RIP Dave

Sorry to hear this sad news about Dave.

paul mitchell 13 Jan 2019

A teacher and a kind man.he actually went and checked routes for guides,unlike the lazy types that just reprint the previous guide.I don't remember him ever getting gnarly at guide or policy meetings.

Greenbanks 13 Jan 2019

Another sad event. I contributed (minimally) to guidebook work under Dave's guidance a long time ago. I recall subsequently being able to locate him through UKC to return an old edition of a Peak guide - he was immensely grateful... During that mid-70's period I always remember Dave as being thoughtful and decent in his interactions with us upstarts. RIP Dave.

David Lanceley 13 Jan 2019

Jack Soper's account in the Black Cliff at Chapter 12 of his and Dave Gregory's Cloggy campaign in the summer of 1959 is I think one of the best in the book.  Finishes with (talking about White Slab) "The myth of extreme difficulty and danger died with our ascent"

ams 13 Jan 2019
In reply to David Lanceley:   

A bit more history from the archives ... FRCC journal 1963  (The Black Cliff was published in 1971)

https://www.frcc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Vol20-1.pdf   p.28 'Still more of Arfon'

I remember him as a really nice guy, and he was extremely helpful with some of the history in my Peak book. I also remember him at BMC meetings and seeing him soloing quite often at the Roaches, 

McHeath 13 Jan 2019

Very sad news.

Dave was one of those teachers who are both liked and immensely respected. I never got lucky and had him as my teacher in my seven years of physics at Lady Manners, but the anecdotes of his witticisms and scathing put-downs of class comedians were legion. I was also never in the school climbing club, which I very much regret, but I know that it produced scores of enthusiastic (and a few very good) climbers. He radiated enthusiasm for the sport and the landscape, and was a very likeable guy; he was definitely indirectly responsible for getting me started on Grit. After I'd left school I bumped into him a few times at Chatsworth and Baslow, we had some good chats, and I realised what a tremendous contribution he'd made to the Peak guide books.

I loved his "Necklace of Slings"; unpretentious, funny and thoughtful, like the man himself. RIP Dave, you were one of the best. 

John Gresty 14 Jan 2019

Last saw Dave at Lawencefield about 10 years. Midweek, and he was with a group of friends. When I referred to Limpopo Groove as 'Gregorys's Great, Green, Grotty, Gruesome, Grey, Greasy Groove ' one of his team politely informed me that I shouldn't have said that as Dave was present. Big mistake, Dave thought it was hilarious and told them to read the guidebook description. 

I had known Dave for quite a lot of years through the BMC Peak Meetings and also bumping into him climbing on the Gritstone Edges so had no qualms about describing that climb, in his presence, in those terms. Knew he would enjoy it.

John

l marsh 14 Jan 2019

So sad to hear about Dave Gregory. My friend & I got chatting to you both at Burbage North some years ago,when we were just about to climb "Still Orange", and were chuffed to hear it was one that Dave had set up. He'll be very much missed. Lin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...