So, farewell Andy Murray...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

looks like the Aussie open will be his final event. A sad way to finish, I hope he recovers enough to have a good quality of life; not being competitive at the top level of tennis seems to be the least of his problems, if even tying shoe laces is leaving him in pain.

still, a career of remarkable achievements; culminating in that relentless surge to world number one through the second half of 2016. One of only 17 men ever to hold the year-end number one ranking, and the only one whose surname isn’t federer, nadal or djokovic to do so since 2003.

his curse was to be a great, who played in an era of legends; and his misfortune to be the one whose body failed first. I always thought he’d get a third Wimbledon title, and a chance to make hay when federer and nadal hung their raquets up; but that’s not happening now. I hope he gets a wild card for Wimbledon if he wants it to say farewell; but whether even that’s a sensible option given the obvious state of his hip is doubtful.

thanks for helping make tennis something we were genuinely competitive in for the first time in my lifetime, Andy. 

Gone for good 11 Jan 2019
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

A very sad way to finish a glittering career. I wish him well for the future and hope his injury doesn't cause him any long term problems. 

balmybaldwin 11 Jan 2019

A sad way indeed. No one wants to retire through injury. I think as a previous winner wild card is a given if he wants it.

JLS 11 Jan 2019
In reply to balmybaldwin:

>”I think as a previous winner wild card is a given if he wants it.”

Can we not just give him the Cliff Richards spot. He could do his standup routine.

bouldery bits 11 Jan 2019

Brilliant competitor. Sad way to end.

balmybaldwin 11 Jan 2019
In reply to JLS:

He could do both. One last match on Centre Court, then come back to watch the final and sing while they close the roof (of course I'd prefer him to play in the final, but looking at his state in practise for him to be fit for Wimbledon would be miraculous)

Post edited at 23:47
 PaulJepson 11 Jan 2019

C'mon, Tim.

Timmd 12 Jan 2019
In reply to Gone for good:

> A very sad way to finish a glittering career. I wish him well for the future and hope his injury doesn't cause him any long term problems. 

Yes, the way anybody wants to retire from sport is when they've achieved all the can rather than because of injury, it'll be a big life change.

I guess when it comes to 'the history books', there'll be a question mark over what else he could have done, which in a funny way might (further) cement his position, but that's no consolation for him right now, or at all I would guess.

Post edited at 15:04
In reply to Timmd:

I’m not sure about that; in the end, I think he achieved what he was going to achieve. Even without his injury, the guard is changing in tennis; not yet at slam level, but at the next tier down, players from outside of the ‘big four’ have won as many masters tournaments in the last 2 years as they did in the previous 8 put together. I expect that will carry over into slams soon; for example it’s hard to see Zverev not being a slam winner by the end of 2019. 

But Murray’s place in the sport is clear; not a candidate for ‘greatest of all time’, but in the group just behind that, with the likes of Becker and Edberg- richly talented players who could compete with the best of all, and on their day beat them. And he seems to have been able remain a decent human being, despite living the highly distorting life of a professional athlete; hopefully that should help him adjust to life after tennis

And what a tremendous, surprisingly good final (4-hour) game, fighting back every inch of the way despite the pain he was in. A terrific way to go out. 

On the plus side, he will now be able to spend more time with his Mum now. 

Andy Hardy 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Bjartur i Sumarhus:

And I don't suppose he'll miss the ice baths either.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...