UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Wide Boyz - All Tooled Up

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Jan 2019
Wide Boyz - All Tooled UpTom Randall and Pete Whittaker (known collectively as The Wide Boyz) are no strangers to hard climbing. Between them, the pair have climbed some of the hardest crack climbs in the world and set impressive records for speed ascents and endurance challenges everywhere from the Peak District in the UK to Yosemite National Park in the US. But one area where they hold no records and have absolutely no experience is the realm of winter climbing. In 2018, the pair set out to put that straight and to finally learn the ropes of this dark axe-wielding art. Guided by the tutelage of Scottish winter climbing legend Kev Shields, the Wide Boyz set out on their first winter climb...after a couple of false starts of course.

Read more
Removed User 11 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Hello.

Sweet. Tom Randall, swing em like you mean it.

TobyA 11 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

OMG - they're not really subtitling Kev are they? I'm only 1.41 in but seriously, they're not really subtitling the one dude with a Scottish accent?!? :-0

S Andrew 11 Jan 2019

They always seem to subtitle Kev. Seems perfectly comprehensible to me, but then I grew up inertia.

Colin Moody 11 Jan 2019
In reply to S Andrew:

>  I grew up inertia.

So why is your favourite crag not on Arran?

kaiser 11 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Enjoyed that. 

That they were such punters (by their own admission) shows what a different sport it is - what a different world

Post edited at 20:21
 S Andrew 11 Jan 2019

Arran used to be Argyll & Bute.

Quadrocks inertia. In fact 15 min walk from my mum’s house. But a stretch as anyone’s favourite crag.

Post edited at 20:35
 TheGeneralist 11 Jan 2019

I've not watched the full vud( which looks good) but have they seriously really genuinely subtitled the Scottish guy and not the posh English guy....

That's so 'king offensive if they have.

Post edited at 22:08
 mbh 11 Jan 2019
In reply to TheGeneralist:

Why be so upset? It's a joke. Moreover, the film is about Randall & Whitaker and from their perspective, the way Shields speaks almost requires subtitles. Really. And that's a good thing. It means linguistic diversity is alive and well. 

I struggle to follow Glaswegians and can well-remember a Danish guy I knew in the late 80s, a football fan who had superb English, telling me how he had to get up really close to the telly whenever Kenny Dalglish came on.

North Germans can barely follow those from the south west corner of their country, near Basel, let alone the actual Swiss speaking Swiss-German. etc etc.

Robert Durran 11 Jan 2019
In reply to TheGeneralist:

>  Have they seriously really genuinely subtitled the Scottish guy and not the posh English guy....

> That's so 'king offensive if they have.

Do you seriously think anyone has any difficulty understanding the "posh English guy"?

TobyA 11 Jan 2019
In reply to Robert Durran:

But do you actually have any difficulty following what Shields is saying? It's a long long time since I live in Scotland but it was completely clear to me. If it had been a working class Bristolian accent, or a working class Brummie accent, or Scouse, or Leeds, d'ya reckon it would have been subtitled?

Unless the film makers want to say its because Kev wasn't miked and the others were, or some technical reason like that, I don't see how it can come across as anything other than totally patronising.

Lemony 11 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I fairly regularly see subtitled geordies in vids of that counts. No need to be working class either.

My guess is “joke that didn’t land” exaggerating cultural differences rather than patronising.

FactorXXX 11 Jan 2019

> Do you seriously think anyone has any difficulty understanding the "posh English guy"?

youtube.com/watch?v=DlUb8jt0WP0&

Mike-W-99 11 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Good vid, one subtitle not commented on is V5,5 for the curtain, eh?

FactorXXX 11 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> Unless the film makers want to say its because Kev wasn't miked and the others were, or some technical reason like that, I don't see how it can come across as anything other than totally patronising.

His voice was certainly a lot quieter and indistinct than the other two.

Robert Durran 12 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> But do you actually have any difficulty following what Shields is saying? It's a long long time since I live in Scotland but it was completely clear to me.

Do you think that would have been the case without the subtitles in front of you? I'm not sure it would have all been clear to me.

> Unless the film makers want to say its because Kev wasn't miked and the others were.

I think that was probably at least part of it - at one point there were subtitles for something barely audible.

>I don't see how it can come across as anything other than totally patronising.

Or just practical.

Alex Riley 12 Jan 2019

In defense of the subtitles, I watched the video on my phone and could hear everything fine (accents notwithstanding), but then watched it later on my TV at home and could barely hear some of the verbal audio, also often Kev is further away from the mic and is barely picked up.

Got psyched and watched wideboyz 1 again after this.

TobyA 12 Jan 2019

> Do you think that would have been the case without the subtitles in front of you?

Yes. I actually looked at first to see if I had accidentally turned on closed captioning; I hadn't and that was when I saw they were only used for the one Scottish voice.

It's a nicely filmed little video, Tom has a good self depreciating sense of humour and the film obviously focuses on him (I don't know when it was made but I remember from social media that Pete climbed lots of VIIIs and perhaps harder with Matt Helliker last winter, so if it was late last winter Pete was very much not a bumbling beginner) - I just reckon that subtitling any British person's accent when they are speaking English is patronising on a British film clip.

Even if someone has a strong accent that you don't regularly hear, it is hardly much to ask for people just to listen a bit more carefully. And in this case it is a climber talking about climbing - we almost know what he is saying simply from what he is doing. In the same way, I don't speak French but I can often take the gist of an article on French climbing website or magazine on three years of middle school french, the pictures and knowing exactly the type of thing that gets written in climbing magazines!

Robert Durran 12 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> I just reckon that subtitling any British person's accent when they are speaking English is patronising on a British film clip.

Would a non British person speaking with a strong accent be any different?

> Even if someone has a strong accent that you don't regularly hear, it is hardly much to ask for people just to listen a bit more carefully.

Maybe, but there was at least one very muffled sentence in the film that I find hard to believe anyone would have got.

Deadeye 12 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

The Curtain for your very first trip on ice is pretty impressive.

JohnBson 12 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

Yeah it was late in the season. Mind you was funny as f*ck watching them admin themselves at the CIC hut. Great humorous start to an awesome days climbing.

Steve Perry 12 Jan 2019
In reply to Deadeye:

Probably not if it was stepped out and you climb E9

Martin Hore 12 Jan 2019

> Do you seriously think anyone has any difficulty understanding the "posh English guy"?

There's a moment a few minutes in when one of the "posh English guys" is also impossible to hear because the mic volume is too low. If they had subtitled that bit as well I think perhaps all would have been forgiven. But they didn't.

It didn't really spoil my appreciation though of a great little film. It's great to see two top climbers not taking themselves too seriously and being prepared to be filmed well out of their comfort zone. 

Martin

Babika 12 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Great video! 

Michael Gordon 14 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Good stuff. We've all been there with ice screws!

Captain Solo 14 Jan 2019
In reply to Mike-W-99:

V5,5 for the curtain, eh?

its got a bouldery start

Removed User 14 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

>  I just reckon that subtitling any British person's accent when they are speaking English is patronising on a British film clip.

As an alternative possibility, I thought the written responses from Kev to, for example, Tom's 'spade/hammer' musings made them funnier somehow - maybe the subtitles were carefully considered comedy vehicles?

timparkin 15 Jan 2019
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

I bumped into Kev at the physio in Fort William last week and he was still subtitled!!!

To be fair though, when I worked at Ravenscraig steel plant in the 80's they did subtitle me... 

Post edited at 08:11

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...