What SLR Camera

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lone 11 Jan 2019

Hi

I'm looking to buy a camera for my walking, I'm really not sure what to go for...

The link below is for Argos, could you recommend a camera for me from the selection ?

I'd like to buy a complete one not just a body.

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/slr/

Thank you 

Jason

Tom Valentine 11 Jan 2019
In reply to lone:

I would rather carry your G9 round the hills than lug an SLR and different lenses about.

Excellent pic of Black mountains btw.

Post edited at 09:54
 Dan Arkle 11 Jan 2019

In reply to:

Dslr's are dead, I'll never buy another.

Go mirror less. Get a Canon m100

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-under-500

wintertree 11 Jan 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> Dslr's are dead, I'll never buy another.

That rather depends on if an EVF makes you want to claw your eyes out with a spoon or not.

Personal preference I would say.  If you buy a canon dSLR, the lenses will work on their mirror less full frame stuff.  Not so going the other way round...

mark s 12 Jan 2019
In reply to lone:

Dslr are very good but for walking they are heavy once you have your lenses especially if you go ff 

Philip 12 Jan 2019
In reply to lone:

You want to spend less than half of your budget on the body part.

I wouldn't buy from Argos but to answer your question:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7495247

Then buy a 70-300 USM IS lens.

Buy a cheap(ish) body for your first one, then you lose less when you upgrade later. Personally I'd buy a good quality second hand and get better spec than a new. I've had my 60D for years and that had 1 careful owner for a few months before me.

Then buy either cheap lenses or really good (the L series). The idea being the cheap lenses will get you started and then you buy the good ones as and when you can.

The Lemming 12 Jan 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

> Dslr's are dead, I'll never buy another.

I love my mirrorless camera too. However mine is micro four thirds and I've yet to crave after that extra, real estate, of a full frame sensor.

Jon Read 12 Jan 2019
In reply to lone:

To best answer your question, I have one (ok, two) for you. Why do you think you want a dSLR? What is it that you think it will give you that you don't have already?

(this is a serious couple of questions btw)

Jon Read 12 Jan 2019
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Pretty sure mine still works. What's the benefit? Lighter weight? Worse battery duration? 

In reply to lone:

Serious question: why?

OP lone 13 Jan 2019
In reply to Jon Read:

My G9 has fallen apart basically, I'm now thinking of getting a good quality second hand G9 and stay with what I know.

In reply to lone:

The reason I love my DSLR (I have a Canon 7d, 17-40L, 70-200L and a tokina very wide) is it's speed and ease of use. It is also pretty weather proof too. That said I would happily replace it with a Fuji mirroless that had dedicated controls and not all the functions driven through menus. 

Tom Valentine 13 Jan 2019
In reply to lone:

Sound idea

Robert Durran 13 Jan 2019
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

> That said I would happily replace it with a Fuji mirroless that had dedicated controls and not all the functions driven through menus. 

Yes, if you want to enjoy using manual control of your camera, having the important controls (aperture, exposure, ISO) at your fingertips rather than in fiddly menus should, in my opinion, be a priority, especially if you are using the camera in the hills with gloves or cold fingers. I have a Fuji mirrorless which is great in this respect. It may not be the case with more compact mirrorless cameras or with some more basic DSLR's.

In reply to Robert Durran: I'm really interested in the Fuji XT2, it looks like a cracking camera and more compact than my Canon kit my some margin. Love the retro look too.

Mike_d78 13 Jan 2019
In reply to lone:

As Dan suggested mirrorless is the way to go. Same sized sensor as a DSLR but in a smaller package. You need to decide what you need, what's important and what isn't to decide on the brand and model that's best for you. 

I have a Sony A6xxx which I like (great quality, small body, good controls and decent lens selection) but it might not suit you.

Lenses are just as, if not more important than the camera. In the end you'll get great results from any camera you buy, I here that the 12" behind the camera are actually the most important thing....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...