The Mountain - 1956 film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Just came across this on Netflix:-

The Mountain starring Spencer Tracy and Robert Wagner set in Chamonix and released in 1956

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049523/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I was interested to see the climbing footage for a film of its period and I must say I was really impressed! Does anyone know the routes they used for filming? The main pitches looked great! Impressive filming and camera trickery for 1956, and I'm not quite sure how they achieved some of the shots. Well worth a watch.

Ratfeeder 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Sandstone Stickman:

Saw this film when I was quite young and thought it was superb - a strong and moving story as well as nicely filmed alpine scenery and period climbing scenes. I still wince when I think of the rope whipping through Spencer Tracy's hands as he determinedly holds his greedy, philistine brother (Robert Wagner) when he falls. I've no idea which climbs were involved but would love to see the film again now. Good to see it's available on DVD.  

Post edited at 19:11
In reply to Ratfeeder:

Yes,  I initially skipped the beginning to get to the climbing scenes but then watched it through a second time as I liked the characters and wanted to know the background story. 

The climbing language felt credible debating the routes on the north face v south face,  getting a first winter ascent, noting the chimney would be iced up in winter, but the alternative is to be wet in summer! It all felt very honest compared to modern attempts the the infamous bolt gun in cliff hanger. 

There is criticism of casting the leads as brothers rather than father and son but that didn't bother me. 

It's on Netflix if you know anyone with an account

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...