NEW ROUTE CARD: The Jurassic Coast - Durlston to St Albans Head and The Priest's Way

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 07 Jan 2019
Looking along the Jurassic Coast from Durlston Head towards St. Albans Head of a stormy day.This section of the Dorset coast features impressive natural limestone cliffs, interspersed by sections that were quarried to help build many of the classic buildings of London and beyond, like St Paul's Cathedral. Yet its history (or prehistory) goes back even further to the Triassic, Jurassic and Cretaceous periods. Spanning nearly 185 million years, the geology of the area has been recognised by World Heritage Site status. Whilst you can't see the beautiful fossils from the main coastal footpath, a diversion down to the popular Dancing Ledge will reveal ammonites frozen in time. You can also explore some of the caves and coves used by the smugglers in the late 1700s around Hedbury, Seacombe and Winspit Quarries, before ascending to St Albans Head the Western limit of our walk before making you way into Worth Matravers where the popular Square and Compass Pub offers a tradition pub lunch. After this you join the Priest's Way on the crest of the limestone down, before making your way back to Durlston Country Park.

11.74 miles, 18.90 km, 513m ascent, 5 – 8 hours. Swanage

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1213
 Tom Valentine 07 Jan 2019
In reply to Mark Reeves:

How timely!

My wife booked a holiday flat in Swanage last night so thanks for a very useful post.

Derry 07 Jan 2019
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Ah my local area. The square and compass is by far the quirkiest pub in Dorset (thus the best IMO). However saying it offers a traditional pub lunch is a bit of a stretch. You can order a pastie, or for the vegetarians among us (me included) you can get a vege pastie. Not much of a menu, but just adds to the charm really*
An another top tip, if you're coming back via Priests Way, look out for the quarry with Dinosaur footprints near Acton. I think it's got a vague fingerpost now, but never used to.

*they are bloody good pasties btw (being outside Devon or Cornwall obviously)

JIMBO 07 Jan 2019
In reply to Mark Reeves:

I must admit I prefer parking at Corfe and walking to Swanage via St Aldhems and then getting the steam train back...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...