Rab and decathlon fleece and gear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi,

I am trying to decide between a Rab nucleus (old style with the gridded material) and the simond mountaineering fleece. The price doesn't seem that different. I'd be using it as a general mid layer from walking, climbing to winter stuff.

Just wondered if anyone had any feedback on either.

Also does anyone know if decathlon do a copy/similar to polartech powerstretch? After pair of heavier weight leggings and gloves. 

Many thanks for all your help! 

In reply to Professor_Professorson:

> the simond mountaineering fleece

This one?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-mnt-1-2-zip-sweatshirt-id_8495181.html

Long in body, tailored, slim fit (so more of a base layer than a mid), with deep neck zip. Comfortable. Good arm raise. You'd have to order online, as not kept in store. I order to my local store, and return stuff that doesn't suit.

The SH500 is similar, but slightly lighter weight, and more loosely cut. Has thumb loops that the Simond doesn't have. Is usually in store.

If that's not what you mean, you should post a link to what you do mean.

They have a large range of gloves. Sadly, they seem to be cut with long fingers, so don't suit me.

Worth looking at their offerings for other sports, especially for leggings.

Post edited at 01:11
In reply to captain paranoia:

Apologies I should of said this item from decathlon:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-mnt-1-2-zip-sweatshirt-id_8495181.html

This is the rab fleece:

https://rab.equipment/uk/nucleus-pull-on-56

Having tried the rab fleece on its a bit short in length along the torso and arms. I don't know if anyone could suggest something different that is similar. 

The curve ball is the montane allez which is a lot lighter, but its polar tech power grid so I don't know if the warmth to weight ratio is better. https://www.montane.co.uk/mens-c1/clothing-c25/fleece-c60/allez-micro-pull-...

This fits great but I am worried its think its a bit thin for what I need. 

This is roughly the micro-fleece I am trying to replace: 

https://www.mountainhardwear.com/microchill-2.0-zip-t-1677261.html?cgid=men...

I personally have found this fleece useful for pretty much everything. 

Sorry for not being clear when I first wrote the post.

Also has anyone tried these gloves:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/cascade-glove-id_8331057.html

I am after some big gloves I can use for Scottish winter and ski in. I have some M.E guide gloves but I find them just not warm enough to ski in.

I am thinking just being ski specific gloves might be the better way to go...

Post edited at 21:55
 leon 1 06 Jan 2019

The TNF Glacier fleece is the closest Ive found to the MH Microchill

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/the-north-face-mens-100-glacier-1-4-zip-f...

In reply to leon 1:

thanks very much! Does this have a waffle backing do you know?

Neil Williams 06 Jan 2019

My experience with Decathlon generally is that the designs are good but the build quality is lower, if that's any help?

In reply to Neil Williams:

The quality of design varies. Some are excellent, like the Simond shirt above, and the SH500. But some of their designs suck. The sucky ones usually don't last long in their range, though...

I've not had problems with the build quality.

> this item from decathlon:

The one I guessed, then.

Compare the garment weights; it's likely the Simond will be warmer than the Microchill; it's a little heavier. But, as I said, it's close fitting, and more suited to a warm base layer than a mid layer. Maybe going up one size over your usual Decathlon size (which is likely to be two sizes more than your 'normal' size) might work.

leon 1 07 Jan 2019

> thanks very much! Does this have a waffle backing do you know?

Nope its straight 100 micro fleece(or whatever they want to call it) same as the Microchill Similar in sizing too. The TNF one can usually be found for about £30 in sales

Timmd 07 Jan 2019

> The quality of design varies. Some are excellent, like the Simond shirt above, and the SH500. But some of their designs suck. The sucky ones usually don't last long in their range, though...

> I've not had problems with the build quality.

I've only ever had issues with coil zips failing on Decathlon gear, and coil zips failing on other gear too to be fair, but perhaps less quickly.

GHawksworth 07 Jan 2019

> Having tried the rab fleece on its a bit short in length along the torso and arms. I don't know if anyone could suggest something different that is similar. 

The size up?

nastyned 07 Jan 2019

I've just got a pair but only used them for cycling so far. They're too warm for that really, and warmer than the last pair of gloves I Winter climbed in (though to be honest I haven't done much of that). Build quality seems fine, but it's early days yet...

In reply to Timmd:

> I've only ever had issues with coil zips failing on Decathlon gear, and coil zips failing on other gear too to be fair

They use YKK 3C and 5C coil zips, and YKK Vislon moulded zips, just like just about everybody else...

> Also has anyone tried these gloves:

I tried them. As mentioned above, the fingers were too long. I ordered two sizes; both had fingers about 1" longer than I need. My fingers aren't especially short (middle finger 10cm from knuckle centre to tip, vs 8.5cm across knuckles), but I do have very deep webs between them (about 1" from the knuckle centre), which reduces the 'effective length'.

I returned both pairs without use in anger, which I was sad about, because they seemed well made, and nicely featured. They were £22 at the time (Jan 2017).

nniff 08 Jan 2019

As far as the leggings question is concerned - look at their winter weight running tights - they usually do some without ankle zips.  Like powerstretch but with a firmer stretch.  I've worn them for years under thin windproof softshell trousers

Timmd 09 Jan 2019

> They use YKK 3C and 5C coil zips, and YKK Vislon moulded zips, just like just about everybody else...

Which is why I mentioned coil zips failing on other gear too.

Given the choice I'd always go or Vislon moulded zips over coils....

Post edited at 18:03
 Timmd 14 Jan 2019

> I've not had problems with the build quality.

I've found their merino base layers to be slightly easier to tear holes in than Howies ones. 

MarkH55 14 Jan 2019

I have the cascade gloves.  V warm and not breathable, I've only used them for cycling so far.  Be careful with sizing, the come up small.  There is a lot of material in the palm making an ice axe grip requiring more effort than is ideal.  But, they are cheap 

m dunn 14 Jan 2019

Brilliant gloves for climbing and skiing. Great price. 

Thanks all for your help and advice. I think I am starting to work out what I want! 

So after doing some reading I think I want to get some light fleece like the montane Allez and pair it with some active insulation. The nano air seems to be coming up the best at the moment however I already own a montane prism so I am struggling to convince myself that I need to get one. 

One the other hand I could get something like an R1 or an M.E. Eclipse T and pair that with a rab vapourise jacket. 

I would be using this set up for climbing and hopefully skiing 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...