Best jacket for general winter country walks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Cgreggers 04 Jan 2019

I am completely new to the insulated jacket game and wondered what the recommendations were for decent insulated jackets for country walks in the UK and city breaks to cold places. I imagine it being as an outer layer for most of its use from -5 to 10 degrees celcius

My sorta specs are:

• Ethical or synthetic down
  • Not too bulky
  • Something south of £200 ideally

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Post edited at 14:32
 nathan79 04 Jan 2019
In reply to Cgreggers:

Take a look at Alpkit's offerings. Both down and synthetic options and only 1 option over £200 (though it's £199 at the moment).

Cgreggers 06 Jan 2019
In reply to nathan79:

Thanks will check them out! Any other suggestions from anyone?

SebCa 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Cgreggers:

Montane Prism Jacket, currently on eBay Montane store for 65 quid plus postage from their Outlet Store...

Montane Icarus Jacket...Go Outdoors, more expensive than it was last year but still a great buy.

Buffalo Mountain Shirt...the classic, go to piece of kit. Mine is probably my most worn from dog walks, to work, pub, climbing and walking.

AlanLittle 06 Jan 2019
In reply to SebCa:

>> city breaks

> Buffalo Mountain Shirt

I admire your fashion self-confidence.

Frankly for the OP's purposes I wouldn't even be looking at any kind of lightweight mountain gear. More like some kind of parka thingy, or barbour/belstaff etc.

My main winter coat is actually a snowboard jacket in plain black that I got for next to nothing in a spring sale. Nice robust water, wind & snowproof outer material; not much insulation but plenty warm enough with a fleece or a jumper underneath.

In reply to Cgreggers:

For a 15 degree range, I'd stick with layering.

For -5, active, you shouldn't need anything too warm. Decathlon do some half decent, cheap down and down/synthetic jackets. Their down is food by-product, so guaranteed not live plucked.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-858789-down-and-padded-jackets

Post edited at 17:12
 Graeme G 06 Jan 2019
In reply to Cgreggers:

Over budget but I got one of these and love it for general non-hiking/climbing activities 

https://www.fjallraven.co.uk/shop/fjallraven-greenland-winter-jacket-F81434...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...