New user posts requiring moderator approval

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
timstich 04 Jan 2019

I've had an account here for centuries, so I don't recall the policy here. But have you found this a common policy for new users on other UK forums? I briefly joined a boating one, but became discouraged when every little thing I posted was in need of a read and a nod of approval. When I asked about it, they said "We do not discuss matters of security." Gah. Almost like some Eastern Bloc country in 1965. 

Anyway, just curious.

Philip 04 Jan 2019
In reply to timstich:

I've joined a few car forums over the years before buying new cars, to check for advice. Each time I had to post min 10 times before I could post a link. And you can't post classified until you've been a member for a min time period.

That would stop all those crappy link posts that flood this forum early in the mornings.

Luke90 04 Jan 2019
In reply to Philip:

> That would stop all those crappy link posts that flood this forum early in the mornings.

Hopefully they've solved, or at least reduced, that problem with their new spam filter:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/ukc/new_forum_spam_checker-698330

timstich 04 Jan 2019
In reply to timstich:

I told the moderator I was no longer interesting in their forum and saw this today:

You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: never

Ha ha ha. My first ever permaban since 1996.

In reply to timstich:

Well, if you tell them you're no longer interested in their forum, maybe they're helping you out by banning you...?

Some forums have minimum posts/membership time rules, yes. It's a way of preventing spammers and bots from posting.

In reply to timstich:

We only block new users from posting on the For Sale forum for their first two months on UKC. This was to stop scammers and it worked pretty well. As mentioned above, and on the other thread, spam on forums whether they be bots or people has increased dramatically in the last few months/years so much so that we completely overhauled our system.

The slightly draconian moderating you describe above ironically seems to be reserved for forums with not that much hands-on moderation. It is just a lazy system but also one that is very off-putting to new users. If you have to jump through hoops and feel like you are entering an exclusive club then it probably isn't a great forum.

Alan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...