What gear did you get for Christmas?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 springfall2008 02 Jan 2019

The wife said, what do you want for Christmas, so I had a new harness to replace my old indoor one, DMM Renegade to match my outdoor one

pass and peak 02 Jan 2019
In reply to springfall2008:

A Blood pressure monitor, from my mother, apparently she's worried about my health. When I said if your that worried perhaps it would be more useful on yourself, she replied "Iv'e had one for many years son". Canny piece of kit though!

Derry 02 Jan 2019

I'm off on an expedition this year so the chance of the missus buying me the correct gear was pretty slim. Thus bought myself a new sleeping and bivvy bag. Needless to say I spent the 26th and 27th sleeping in the garden... to the amusement of my kids and everyone else my partner told.

olddirtydoggy 02 Jan 2019

2 weeks off unpaid. (self employed)

TobyA 02 Jan 2019

Why do you need an indoor harness and an outdoor harness?! Unless your "outdoor harness" is a super light ski touring or mountaineering harness or something, I don't really get why you don't just use the same one for indoor and outdoor?

summo 02 Jan 2019
In reply to TobyA:

It's a luxury. My outdoor harness will always have belay device, prussiks, knife, ropeman, nut key... the indoor harness very little and the gear loops are smaller, so less suited to climbing with a trad rack. 

Santa... ski back protector. Setting an example to the kids who complain when asked to wear theirs. 

BnB 02 Jan 2019

Dressing gown and slippers. And some new socks.

Two sets of HardwoodHolds system board symmetrical holds, and a set of Bleaustone symmetrical pockets from Mrs P in Sheff. My early Christmas present was the go ahead to convert our garage into a bouldering wall, which I’ve just finished the first phase. Full-height 40 degree moon board, 50, 30,10 and vertical walls. Just been unpacking all my old holds from previous walls.

tehmarks 02 Jan 2019

A sensible pair of goggles for Scotland and enough money for me to be able to sell my old axes, combine the cash and buy a shiny new pair of Vipers.

More dangerously, a mountaineering guidebook for the Andes, and a book on mounaineering in Antarctica...

cb294 02 Jan 2019

Edelrid Huascaran mountaineering harness. 

CB

wercat 02 Jan 2019

A couple of Martin Beck books I'm looking forward to getting into

RX-78 02 Jan 2019

Set of Wild country rocks 1 to 14 as I aim to do some trad rather than just sport in the coming year. An AAC peaked hat to replace a lost hat left in the US somewhere.

TobyA 02 Jan 2019
In reply to summo:

But the op says it's the same model as his/her outdoor one!

I'm meant to be getting some new (to me) crampons for Xmas but they are still somewhere between Cham and Derbyshire. I did get Beatty and Douglas's "Kinder Scout" which is jolly nice though.

Babika 02 Jan 2019

Some wireless headphones that have taken about 7 days to get fitted to my ears so that they don't fall out with the combination of plugs and loops and filter thingies. 

I haven't moved on to the stage of actually pairing them with my mb yet.......

Oh and a nice Karen Millen dress

Post edited at 15:06
 ripper 02 Jan 2019

Garmin fitness band thingy which keeps telling me to get my lardy arse up off the sofa when I'm the middle of watching a film. I'm sure it means well...

In reply to TobyA:

> Why do you need an indoor harness and an outdoor harness?! Unless your "outdoor harness" is a super light ski touring or mountaineering harness or something, I don't really get why you don't just use the same one for indoor and outdoor?

Because the outdoor harness sits in the outdoor bag with nut keys, prussik and suchlike and I'm too lazy to switch it around. I assume it makes little difference to the cost in the long run as I'm staggering when I buy them.

Don't others have duplicate gear? I think I have a completely different set of kit for indoors other than the shoes (and that bugs me too).

GoneFishing111 02 Jan 2019

Beastmaker 2000, peak bouldering guide, hardwood holds pinch trainer and a wireless bose speaker that im going to annoy everyone at stannage with

Martin Bennett 02 Jan 2019

> Don't others have duplicate gear? I think I have a completely different set of kit for indoors other than the shoes (and that bugs me too).

Currently about 5 harnesses, 5 helmets, 5 belay devices, 6 ropes, 8 pairs rock shoes, 2 pairs mountain boots, 2 sets quickdraws, most of a second trad rack, far too many rucksacks and don't even ask about jackets, trousers, baselayers, midlayers toplayers etc etc! And I don't climb indoors, by the way.

Mike-W-99 02 Jan 2019
In reply to BnB:

> Dressing gown and slippers. And some new socks.

I got booze and food. Indispensable, wouldn't trust relatives to buy climbing kit.

Post edited at 23:04
 Mike-W-99 02 Jan 2019

> Don't others have duplicate gear? I think I have a completely different set of kit for indoors other than the shoes (and that bugs me too).

I've a winter harness, scruffy harness for general mountaineering and one for everything else. Shoes are whatever comes to hand. One helmet though.

alx 02 Jan 2019

I am a total indoor gardening geek, got myself two new tropical pitcher plants and a humidity monitor.

Nepenthes veitchii x spectabilis hybrid

https://goo.gl/images/LXGvvz

and

Nepenthes maxima

https://www.redleafexotics.com/shop/n-maxima-r-ep/

I’m hoping that with a bit of care I grow the mutant 1 foot long pitchers that these giant forms are known for!

Post edited at 23:54
pasbury 03 Jan 2019

Alpkit fleece, new walking shoes, Ron hill running gloves.

I’m made up, plus i’ve got to go out and use it now.

Fozzy 03 Jan 2019

Alpaca hiking socks, 10 pairs of boxers and a bottle of port. Sorted. 

In reply to alx:

That's a very cool looking plant

kathrync 03 Jan 2019

I need a new winter sleeping bag to replace my 20 year old one which doesn't loft any more, however often I get it cleaned.  My partner has agreed to pay half, and my parents gave me some vouchers for an outdoor shop - just need to pick what I want now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...