GROUP TEST: Lightweight Down Jackets

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 01 Jan 2019
Lightweight down jackets montageWhether you're climbing, camping or walking - or even just out in town - a light and packable down jacket is a versatile layer year-round. We compare 10 options.

Read more
 phizz4 01 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

No Jottnar Fenrir? Ideal specification for this test.

One thing that's worth mentioning about the Arcteryx Cerium SL is it doesn't have a chest pocket.   My beaten up old Rab Xenon which doesn't look nearly as good is far more practical for most things that I do.  It's a shame because it is really well cut and looks great, if there was a pocket for my phone I'd use it a lot around town.   

snoop6060 01 Jan 2019

I know nothing about making jackets but is it really a problem to make one with a pocket that the jacket can stuff in? I have a rab down jacket that has the stuff sack which I'm obviously just going to lose. It fits in its own pocket so surely it's a case of having a slightly different zip. Or am I missing something? 

TobyA 01 Jan 2019
In reply to phizz4:

They're changing their product line, although the Fenrir is still there but they've got other new products out to UKC for testing.

I don't think the jacket has changed much since https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/down_insulation/jottnar_fenrir_dow... and mine is still going strong! Just washed it for the first time and it's fluffy, well - puffy, and clean again.

John Kelly 01 Jan 2019

Or for £40

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/trek500-down-jacket-m-blu-id_8397298.html

Had mine about 3years, couple holes. I have posher jackets but this one lives in my rucksack

LG-Mark 01 Jan 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

> I know nothing about making jackets but is it really a problem to make one with a pocket that the jacket can stuff in? I have a rab down jacket that has the stuff sack which I'm obviously just going to lose. It fits in its own pocket so surely it's a case of having a slightly different zip. Or am I missing something? 

You don't need a pocket or stuff bag. Too much faff on the hill anyway. You just roll it into the hood. Compresses better in your sack too.

snoop6060 01 Jan 2019
In reply to LG-Mark:

Oh right, didn't realise I didn't need it. Thanks for letting me know .

Post edited at 13:28
 nufkin 01 Jan 2019

Also a bit of a shame not to have any PHD jackets, since down is what they do best - though they are pretty pricey

Spanish Jack 05 Jan 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

Patagonia does some. The down sweater is good for everything besides harsh winter conditions and packs nicely into itself.

jezb1 05 Jan 2019

The winning jacket isn’t actually light though is it?

GHawksworth 05 Jan 2019

Above this thread, there's an advert for crux. A brand that isn't mentioned in the group test. Their halo and turbo jackets are sure competitors for this! 

Halo is lighter, better fill power and only £10 more than the winning rab.

I think the reviewer missed a good one there. Just my two cents

Charly2nd 09 Jan 2019
In reply to GHawksworth:

I agree with this. The Halo jacket is almost 20% warmer, given its fill weight and fill power. Also, the Microlight is close to being 40% heavier! (my Halo is a bit heavier when compared to official specks, but still 100 grams lighter.)

I own the original Microlight, which I like because of its tougher exterior shell and slightly better fit for a medium build, but when weight, packed volume, and warmth are an issue, for long hikes or belaying, I take the Halo jacket . 

angry pirate 11 Jan 2019

As a general question, how warm are these, say compared to a 60 GSM primaloft top? 

I have synthetic insulation layers and can never quite work out how these light down jackets fit in for UK use.

tingle 11 Jan 2019

But what about “insert brand name here”. I have their jacket and really like it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...