Living in a van near Fort William - parking ideas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
anonymous123 30 Dec 2018

So I'm hoping to move up to study in Fort William, but I can't afford to rent so I'll live in a van instead. The dilemma is where will I park? Does anyone know of any secluded parking places nearish the town - preferably away from other houses/people and within 5 miles. Alternatively, does anyone know anyone who has a spot they might let me use in exchange for some regular money? 

girlymonkey 30 Dec 2018
In reply to anonymous123:

I've slept in the van in the Achintee car park before with no hassle. I don't know if the bunkhouse might start to complain if you are there every night though. 

Ciro 31 Dec 2018

I find the key to living in a van in a city and not upsetting anyone is to move around. If you park up in one spot and then cycle to work/uni people might feel you're using "their" space inappropriately - but if you drive to work/uni in the morning, and from there to the gym/climbing wall/ etc. in the evening, then back to wherever you're sleeping at night, you won't seem like you're seeing up camp in the neighborhood so you won't be a threat. If anyone realises what you're doing, they'll just think you're a bit odd.

I don't drink alcohol any more, which helps tremendously with the logistics

Sharp 31 Dec 2018

The fort is quite a good place for parking up discretely, as ciro says provided you're moving around and stopping in different places you shouldn't have many issues. The more discrete your van is the better.

People sometimes get moved on in Glen Nevis during the summer but I've stayed there in winter without any problems and I guess most of the academic year will be outside the summer months anyway. There's a forestry car park on the right just before the mountain path car park which is a bit more secluded. Had a ranger turn up early morning there once, presumably to move us on but we were in bivvy bags and after a brief conversation on what defined camping he let us be. I wonder if the noisy owl is still there.

There's always the NFC at torlundy but it's a bit of a walk from town. I imagine your main problem will be getting home after a drink, you don't really want to have to walk back miles but you don't really want to be parking up in town with your keys in your pockets either.

Timmd 31 Dec 2018
In reply to Ciro:

I guess seeing the same van parked somewhere only at 'after work' times makes it seem more like a new van of a neighbour one doesn't know.

Barry Harper 31 Dec 2018

I've slept up at Blarmacfoldach Viewpoint a bit in the past and haven't had any problems and it's only a couple of minutes out of town. other motorhomes use it as well.

Dax H 31 Dec 2018

I know you're looking for somewhere a bit more remote but if you don't find anywhere try asking a few businesses in the area. I'm sure someone will give up a parking space over night for a bit of free on site security.

In fact if anyone is looking to live in a camper van in Leeds hit me up, there is a spot waiting. 

Removed User 31 Dec 2018
In reply to Barry Harper:

> I've slept up at Blarmacfoldach

Que?

arose 01 Jan 2019

I've spent a lot of time van living in Fort William, now own a house there, rent rooms and work on the practicals at the University (so we may meet at some point).  First of all van living is not easy in the winter unless its a big van and you have space to dry your kit.  Of the students and climbers I know who do it very few make it through the winter November to Jan period.  It is possible and I do know people who live in vans as small as T4's though it appears more as survival that anything else.  

Van spots. Be willing to carry a lot of bin bags.  It will help your case a lot if you are not parked anywhere near rubbish so its worth picking up others.   Glen Nevis is okay outside the winter though strictly speaking its not allowed.  The car park mentioned above is the braveheart and now has a height barrier so it might depend what your van is.  The cemetery car park at the top of Achintore road is quiet and has good views.  just dog walkers etc coming past.  The North face car park is used by a lot of vans in winter but is disgusting with human faeces everywhere.  The Mallaig road out past corpach has some parking spots though can have a lot of traffic.  The west end car park is used by a lot of vans and seems to now be considered fair game.  Ive slept there a lot after a couple of drinks and never had any issues.  Theres plenty of space in the car parks behind caol (they were going to build a tescos there that never happened) but its near the police station and the high school.  As someone else has said I would focus on moving around and learn where the toilets are you can use (theres a couple in town, theres the climbing wall, the uni, the swimming pool).  

anonymous123 01 Jan 2019
In reply to arose:

Thanks for the replies folks. Really useful info. Good to know that other people have survived doing the same. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...