Climbing after surgery on snapped Achilles tendon

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robmcc85 30 Dec 2018

Hi I had a fall on the 14th Dec I fell 50 meter ice climbing in the cairngorms and ruptured my left achilles tendon. Im just wanting to know if there is anyone on here who has had surgery on there ruptured Achilles tendon?  How long was it before you could climb again? Did it cause you any problems climbing again.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Rob. 

webbo 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Robmcc85:

Snapped mine 16/01/2016 operated on 27/01/2016. Started climbing again 02/05/2016. Followed physio’s advice to the letter, lots of the rehab was cycling which suited me as I also ride. I was riding up to 60 miles by this time as well doing upper body weights and finger boarding.

I was doing weights and using the fingerboard a couple of days after my operation.

I still don’t have as much strength in the my leg that I injured compared to the other leg when I do calf raises but I never notice it climbing or cycling.

Post edited at 21:58
 Timmd 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Robmcc85:

Jeeze, not to underplay your injury, but I'm glad that's 'all' that happened to you as it were. Lots of people snap that tendon and get back to normal again. 

OP Robmcc85 31 Dec 2018
In reply to webbo:

Hi thanks for the reply, glad you are in the mend now.  Like you I have been on finger board this morning two days after the op. Struggling to stand up for long periods of time due to my foot swelling up and needing to elevate it.  Your time scales looks good for me  I've got a climbing trip to Isle of skye booked for the 8th May and so hoping I'm going to be fit enough for it. So apart from not being as strong your foot hasn't effected your climbing  

OP Robmcc85 31 Dec 2018
In reply to Timmd:

I know what you mean I have been very lucky helmet and rucksack took the impact of the fall. 

Timmd 31 Dec 2018
In reply to Robmcc85: I think a relative started taking bigger risks in other parts of their life, after a similar narrow squeak, it was the last thing they'd expected to happen, so they thought 'f*ck it' essentially, with positive results as it happens. 

I gather that with care snapped tendons can heal more successfully than chronic over use type injuries. 

Post edited at 13:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...