Wild Camp at Kinder Scout in Snow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
NewbWinterHiker 26 Dec 2018

Hello, 

A friend and I are considering a winter hike and camp on Kinder Scout and I wanted to ask some advice. 

I am quite confident hiking in 3 seasons conditions and I am confident navigating. Though I have never done any winter hiking / camping. 

Our plan is to keep an eye on the weather forecast and leave when conditions are fair and we've had some decent snow. (Though I am aware conditions may change dramatically). 

Here are my questions: 

My tent is a Wild Country Zephyros 2 will this be OK? 

Do I need 4 season boots + crampons (what stiffness is advised? I'd like to do more in winter hiking in UK - probably lake and Highlands). 

Do you have any other recommendations for a winter newb? 

Mattia 26 Dec 2018
In reply to NewbWinterHiker:

Hey there,

Good choice of location. I frequently head to Kinder Plateau for a drama-free night in my cosy tent. I'm a bit of a chicken but have no worries whatsoever spending the night by myself somewhere near Kinder Scout.

It's a good choice because you can catch some proper wintery conditions up there when the snow conditions in the valley might be 'marginal'. But it's not high or steep enough to be considered a proper mountain in my eyes.

Kinder Plateau is handy because plenty of paths lead up obto it and you have a path that takes you around the edge of the plateau. So if you get lost, just keep walking straight and you'll inevitably reach the rocky edge... Just don't fall of the side.

To answer your questions... I use an Akto tent and always felt safe, even in windy conditions. I haven't used the Zephyros but the tent looks similar to the Akto.

I can only tell you about my personal experience about Boots and crampons. The three times I went up there in winter conditions I didn't need crampons. I did wear them for practice more than out of necessity. The only time I did slip on ice was on the descent crossing frozen puddles on the path (when I had already taken the crampons off annoyingly). Personally I wouldn't buy crampons and boots for a hike up Kinder but do take them along if you already own them or buy some handy microspikes to go with your hiking boots.

Having said all that, Toby Archer mentions an episode around Kinder Scout in his recent Winter article that makes the place resemble more K2 than Kinder.

Enjoy, be safe and fingers crossed for some winter fun in the Peak. 

olddirtydoggy 27 Dec 2018

Great place to have a go. Take a small, light snow shovel with you and build a protective wall on the windy side if you can't find a decent plot to pitch. Just don't build it too close to the tent as the snow will load between the tent and wall and the snow blows over. We've used this method on a couple of occasions to improve a nights sleep. All we need now is a winter.

TobyA 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Mattia:

> Having said all that, Toby Archer mentions an episode around Kinder Scout in his recent Winter article that makes the place resemble more K2 than Kinder.

That was quite exceptional weather!

I've camped and bivvied on Kinder a few times including in winter. I reckon you need to pick your weather, I live not too far away and it's not like there is snow on it for the majority of the winter. So keep an eye on the met office Kinder Low summit forecast. Various Facebook groups as well that will keep you up on conditions. 

I'm sure there are times on slopes there when you do need an ice axe, but I've not come across them. Generally if you follow the main paths you'll be ok. Those ice spikes thingies would probably be better than full crampons.

One thing no one has mentioned is finding a flat pitch. The heather tussocks and the peat trenches make it surprisingly tricky to find a flatish spot. Ive slept on what turns out to be a path a couple of times, although I often walk up in the dark so it might be easier when it's not midnight!

DerwentDiluted 27 Dec 2018

In reply to 

> One thing no one has mentioned is finding a flat pitch. 

There are quite a few good spots on the Northern Edge, between Blackden and Fairbrook. 

Obvious 27 Dec 2018

Crampons are not required in my experience. Finding a flat spot to put a tent can be challenging. Be sure not to pitch on top of a stream like I did!

Thunderbird7 27 Dec 2018
In reply to Obvious:

Walked on the path above Stanage last January on inches thick sheet ice!!! Luckily had just invested in a pair of 'pull on' walking 'crampons' which were brilliant. Wish I'd bought a pair years ago - light and screw up into a ball in the pack

NewbWinterHiker 28 Dec 2018

Thank you all for some great feedback. From you're advice I think I am pretty sorted for gear. 

Snow shovel is a great idea, I'll see if I can pick one up. 

@Thunderbird7 

Do you have a link for these crampon things? I can't find them though sound like they would be handy if it's particularly icy. 

I've just received my OS map in the post for the area so I'll have a look at some routes and potential camping spots. And feedback. 

Thanks again! 

Welsh Kate 28 Dec 2018

Clas Ohlson do an aluminium snow shovel with a telescopic handle for just under £15. A friend of mine took his on a trip we did to Scotland a couple of years ago and it didn't seem any inferior to my gucci branded snow shovel!

deepsoup 28 Dec 2018

Here's one popular variety of 'pull-on crampons'.  (Best not used where you really need actual crampons though, obviously.)

https://kahtoola.com/product/microspikes/

leon 1 28 Dec 2018
In reply to NewbWinterHiker: These work pretty well and do give some bite

https://www.climbers-shop.com/10940683/products/climbing-technology-ice-tra...

The cheap and crappy style with springs are really only for use on pavements   https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/yaktrax-walker-p164643

These articles are worth a read just so that you dont think micro spikes are the answer to everything (but probably are for Kinder.) https://www.thebmc.co.uk/using-micro-crampons-and-mini-spikes-for-winter-hi...

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/articles/features/microspikes_-_use_with_care...

Best general weather forecast for the area is usually https://www.buxtonweather.co.uk/

However at the moment its 9c and drizzling near Kinder............

Post edited at 16:01
 Thunderbird7 28 Dec 2018

https://www.rei.com/product/806475/yaktrax-icetrekkers-diamond-grip-tractio...

These are the ones I bought in the US - a heavier duty version of the spring ones which seem a bit fragile. These are called 'diamond grips' and are pretty robust. Having lugged around 12 pointers for years in Scotland, these ones are ace for walking - don't be sniffy - if it works and its simple, it doesnt need to be any more complicated!

Post edited at 16:39
 troybison 28 Dec 2018

Take a balaclava: wind chill can be very high on the plateau! And a hot water bottle - or add hot water to a plastic nalgene drinking bottle & use that. When I camped my water bottle froze solid in the tent (outside sleeping bag). Enjoy!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...