ARTICLE: Winter as it Was - The Helm Wind

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Typical North Pennines bleakness, descending from Cross Fell on the Pennine WayGwen Moffat pens a tribute to the Northern Pennines in light of the digital release of her crime novel The Corpse Road...

I was a mountaineer, I had researched disasters in the hills; I holed up when the helm wind blew but when it was fine I roamed the county (chains on the van, a shovel and survival gear in the back, a sleeping bag, iron rations). I quartered the Lakes, the Valley, the fells, negotiating the frozen groughs of Mickle Fell and the pikes, tracing the route from High Force to High Cup Nick. It's called research. I gloried in it.

Read more
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Probably '63? But my parents always maintained '47 was worse.

https://www.netweather.tv/weather-forecasts/uk/winter/famous-winters

Tony Jones 26 Dec 2018
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

A lovely winter's tale. 

The attractions of the northern Pennines aren't as obvious as those of the Lakeland fells but there's certainly something about their overwhelming bleakness.

I've read and enjoyed Gwen's autobiography but not read any of her fiction. I may have to resort to Kindle for the first time. 

Thanks for this. UKC at its best!

coldfell 26 Dec 2018
In reply to Tony Jones:

Yes what a marvellous seasonal read, wish there was a blizzard blowing right now so I could curl up with it!  What a fascinating character Gwen Moffat is - I too have never read any of her fiction, what a treat in store this evening with a glass of Ardmore!

Dorine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...